Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winter projects?
PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 11:22 am 
Site Admin

My 4x4 conversion guy is taking much longer then estimated. In the mean time, anyone got any winter Rv project going on?

background-color: #C1CAD2

Post subject: Re: Winter projects?
PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 12:54 pm 

This is the first winter in a loooong time that i don,t have any projects going on mainly beacause I,m sick of paying crazy high heating bills !!!!......I need to move somewhere a little warmer .

I Hope your 4x4 conversion turns out well.

Just Winter day dreaming here since you mentioned 4 x 4 rv and got my wheels turnin , lol ..........

one day i,d like to mend together an old chinook coach body and a somewhat later model 4 x 4 pick up chassis like this guy did with an old Mobile Traveler m.h. body and a mid 2000 gm p.u.

Attachments:
2002mttt.jpg
2002mttt.jpg [ 28.14 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 6:55 am 

Not really winter at this point, but over the last month I replaced the sewer hose holder (pipe) at the rear with a new one, replaced all the rear marker lights (cracked/pieces missing), replaced the a/c shroud on the roof (UV damage/cracked), re-glued the rear view mirror that suddenly fell, and replaced the air filter.

The previous owner apparently didn't care about the exterior because all the caulking was in terrible shape. So far I've caulked the driver-side picture window that was leaking in, caulked around the rear door and caulked around the refrigerator panel.

Spring/summer projects: finish caulking any other exterior panels, repaint both side mirrors/arms, re-dicor everything on the roof, fix the 36 error code I'm getting on the generator, sand/repaint lp tank that's rusting, and replace carpeting with laminate flooring.

Long term projects: go all LED, replace microwave (broken display panel but still works), replace tv/vcr with something more modern, replace stereo in the living area with something more modern (bluetooth, USB, etc)

I'm sure I'll be doing other stuff, but that's it so far. It's a good feeling to accomplish stuff on my own, but I just wish the previous owner did a little more so I could do a little less...

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Nice. I haven't noticed any leaks in my 04 yet. Maybe it's just a matter of time though. I kind of would like to convert all the exterior marker lights and the tail lights to LED. Give it a bit of an updated look. No idea what exqct light to buy though.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 9:05 am 

From what I understand, pull the bulb and look for numbering on it. Then go to whatever LED site you want to buy from and match it up or send them an email with the description and they should tell ya. While I'm new here and to other sites, I've been lurking a long time and collecting/bookmarking sites recommended by others. Here's what I've got for reputable LED sites:
http://www.m4products.com/
http://www.rvledbulbs.com/

I'm sure there are others, but apparently these haven't let anyone down. Of course Ebay has all kinds of deals too.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh.. I was thinking all new marker lights (lens too). Same for the tail lights, but I suppose just bulbs is the easier way.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 4:14 pm 

I went with replacing the marker lights (they came with the standard bulb) and not going to LED on them yet because I had a urgent need to just replace 'em. All 5 along the back were cracked and missing pieces, allowing rain to fill them up. Surprisingly, they all worked, but who knows for how long before they corroded or leaked inside. When I go LED I'll go interior and then exterior.