Tail lights shot on 89 Ford

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
bearnval

Tail lights shot on 89 Ford

Post by bearnval »

The tail lights on my old 89 Ford Chinook are in really rugged shape. I need to replace the whole assembly with some kind of LED upgrade. I was thinking of just using those square after market boat trailer lights but mine are kind of an odd size and I’m not sure how to get them to fit right. Any suggestions?
Blue~Go

Re: Tail lights shot on 89 Ford

Post by Blue~Go »

If it were me, I'd try to replace them with the original style. They may not be hard to find. Just as background (you may already know, in which case never mind), Chinook used a variety of taillights in their RV's, but as far as I know they were always something stock. For example my era uses stock Ford E-Series van taillights. In the early 2000's they went to Ford Expedition (or Explorer? I always forget and they have so many "Ex" names). I think in the early 90's they used Ford Aerostar taillights (that was a mini van). So I guess if no-one else with an '89 comes to comment, you could start by looking at Aerostar taillights on an image search and see if they look like yours. Otherwise experience says it might have been some other Ford product taillight of the era.

Have any pics? Maybe we'll recognize them (if you have any interest in replacing with stock lenses).
1999 Concourse
bearnval

Post by bearnval »

BC655535-9C7F-443F-B37C-5483B77A788C.jpeg
I know what you mean Blue about the Aerostar lights, I used to have an old Aerostar van with those curved corner taillights. They would probably be easy to find in a junk yard. Unfortunately I think mine are a little more vintage than that. I don’t know why the picture came out sideways but you can see what I mean. Thanks
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, I see. Yep, anything but curvy! I don't recognize them, but maybe someone else will?

BTW, the main cause I know of for sideways photos is if you use a phone or a tablet in "portrait" mode (i.e. you hold it vertically like you would to talk on it). If you use it in landscape mode when you take the photo, then it should post right-side up.
1999 Concourse