Converted couch to daybed

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Converted couch to daybed

Post by Kirah »

So, my Premier came with the flexsteel couch on one side and a dinette on the other. The cushions on the seat part of the couch were pretty much shot, making it a lousy bed, and I hate making/unmaking the bed all the time, which is a problem with the dinette. So, last winter I decided to convert the couch into a platform bed. This is a total hack job, but what the heck, I'll share anyways.

My carpentry skills are almost non-existent, so I wanted to keep the steel frame as a foundation. Getting the couch down to just the parts we wanted to keep was ... interesting. I managed to get the back off in one piece, apart from the hinges, and then we cut off the fabric and cords holding the foam on. At that point, we had this:
20161202_123800.jpg
Those hinges were a real problem, though. We just couldn't figure out how to get them off. Finally, I went to Home Depot and bought a steel-cutting blade for my reciprocating saw. Muahahahah! I dulled two blades, but managed to get the hinges out of the way.

So, then we measured the space and cut a few pieces of MDF board to fit with one edge on that wooden rail on the wall and the other on the metal frame. It needed some spacers to come out level, but in the end we had a nice platform. And yes, those are zip ties holding the spacers to the frame. :roll:
20161218_145417.jpg
It's almost big enough for a twin size mattress, but not quite, so I ordered a custom foam mattress. Incidentally, these guys http://www.foamforyou.com/ are great. Their web game is weak, but they're super helpful on the phone. I've also had them cut me new cushions for the dinette.

I added a non-skid rug pad on top of the boards to keep the mattress from wandering out into the walkway. Once the mattress is on and you throw a quilt over it, it looks nice, and the carpeted door that flips up from the floor still works perfectly - or, at least as well as it ever did.
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
jlarry214

Re: Converted couch to daybed

Post by jlarry214 »

Looking good so far. Would really like to see the finished project when you get the foam. Also would like to see the dinette in the pic so we can get a feel for room. Ours has club chairs and we are not real happy with the couch bed.

Thanks,
Larry

1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Kirah wrote: So, then we measured the space and cut a few pieces of MDF board to fit with one edge on that wooden rail on the wall and the other on the metal frame. It needed some spacers to come out level, but in the end we had a nice platform. And yes, those are zip ties holding the spacers to the frame. :roll:
It's almost big enough for a twin size mattress, but not quite, so I ordered a custom foam mattress. Incidentally, these guys http://www.foamforyou.com/ are great. Their web game is weak, but they're super helpful on the phone. I've also had them cut me new cushions for the dinette.
Interesting! Need more pics and dimensions of your finished project.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

I'm going camping in a couple of weeks - yay! it's camping season again! - so I'll try to remember to take some pictures with the mattress on.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Always good to see project write-ups - so thanks for starting this thread.

Shoot, maybe I can publish mine soon (it's another mockup/temp/hack job :mrgreen:) Actually, the main reason I hadn't written it up before is that I used parts from another camper van, which not everyone has on hand.

Can't do it now as I'm in a no-Verizon zone and mooching weak Internet from a friend, but I'll be moving on along before too long.
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Blue~Go wrote:Actually, the main reason I hadn't written it up before is that I used parts from another camper van, which not everyone has on hand.
No matter. It's always interesting and inspirational to see what other's have done for mods.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

Okay, finished picture from this weekend.
20170930_140702.jpg
The mattress is 36" x 72", and overhangs the metal frame by about 3/4". It's a snug fit. There's room - just barely - to tuck in bedding at the head and foot.