Anyone using Monroe coilover shocks on the rear? #555101

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Anyone using Monroe coilover shocks on the rear? #555101

Post by Flame »

Does anyone have Monroe shocks on the rear with the coil springs on the shock? These are part # 555101. Did it make your vehicle ride too high? How did you get them to mount without being able to compress the coil spring? Monroe says just jack the frame up and let the wheels drop for installation. I had no luck doing that. Help!!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
dougm

Re: Anyone using Monroe coilover shocks on the rear? #555101

Post by dougm »

You have to remove your old shocks first, then jack up both sides of the truck so that both sides drop down at the same time in order to get enough clearance. Just jacking up one side at a time isnt going to gain the clearance required. Either that or go rent a small spring compressor.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Dougm, Have you done this yourself? How did it ride? What year model Chinook do you have? And thank you for any more details. I really got frustrated yesterday after hours of work and never got them on!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
nebchmp

Post by nebchmp »

Flame: I did and am ssatisfied with the results. Didn't raise the back end any. I changed both the front and rear to Monroes. Norm 89 Concorse