1995 Chinook Concourse Sliding Side Window Track Water Drain

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
reddingnative

1995 Chinook Concourse Sliding Side Window Track Water Drain

Post by reddingnative »

I have a 1995 Chinook Concourse that I recently acquired this Summer. I noticed water damage to the wall behind the sink counter top and was perplexed as to how that happened. Yesterday, after washing the exterior, I found the interior sliding window track full of water and running onto the counter top. What I discovered is a clogged window track drain which is located at the bottom of the window track where the track stops and the window frame starts to curve up. That drain starts there and terminates at a small rectangular opening on the exterior of the window frame. That drain was completely clogged, so water was overflowing the window track and soaking the wall.

I cleaned the window track drains on both sides of the RV. I'm going to do a leak test tomorrow and see what other issues may arise.
Chinook Concourse Manufactured 6/1996
1995 Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L 460
kdarling

Re: 1995 Chinook Concourse Sliding Side Window Track Water D

Post by kdarling »

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll go out and check my drains!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't know if you have the same windows as my rig (they tended to change windows every few years it seems), but I have Hehr single pane (forget series number at the moment), the ones with the screens that ride along on the impossible-to-find clips ;) ) and even with no clogging at all I can get water flow in the inside track if the rain is REALLY coming down (like bucketloads) and at just the right angle. It just flows inward through the drains/tracks. Mostly it stays in the track though once inside.

I've been in some torrential downpours and it has only happened a couple of times. I just put something absorbent in the track for the duration of the deluge. I noted that a couple of other Chinookers with the same windows had it happen too so I think it's just a design "feature."

You may not even have those windows, but if so just figured I'd mention it (of course you don't want the drains clogged on top of that, so not saying you shouldn't have unclogged them).
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

My Premier has R.J. Sampers windows, and they process extreme downpours pretty well so long as the drains are clear. There was a night I was near the Boundary Waters when the rain was so intense that it started to dribble into the living room. I smeared a little wad of butyl on the window frame to create a dam and all was well for the night. We have a local wasp that likes to clog those drains with a "mud", but it's easy to remove with a toothpick from the outside. Compressed air is good for this, too.
1994 Premier