vinyl flooring

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: vinyl flooring

Post by pdemarest »

Very interesting ideas. Replacing the carpet with vinyl or wood flooring is on my list of things to get done this winter.

I have a question. What do you guys think about using Dynamat as a floor underlayment? It deadens sound and has insulating properties and comes in a variety of thicknesses.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
SMan

Post by SMan »

pdemarest wrote:

I have a question. What do you guys think about using Dynamat as a floor underlayment? It deadens sound and has insulating properties and comes in a variety of thicknesses.
Well I'll give my .02. If you mean putting it under plywood it would probably be beneficial. When I put new carpet and seats in my 69 El Camino a few years back I used the much cheaper "construction" Peel and Seal from Lowes. Car forum guys often debate Dynamat vs Peel and Seal and it can get quite heated. I'll just say in my case the Peel and Seal worked great without any residual smell that some complain about. I do seal all seams with silver heat and vent tape. Worked great as a sound deadener.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
SMan

Post by SMan »

oops double post
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hi Steve - I was thinking of putting it on top of the plywood. Do you think it would allow too much movement for those click-together flooring systems?

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
SMan

Post by SMan »

pdemarest wrote:Hi Steve - I was thinking of putting it on top of the plywood. Do you think it would allow too much movement for those click-together flooring systems?

Paul
OK Paul I see what your plan is. I've put down a lot of click flooring in homes and don't think it would move much more if any with dynamat than some of the foam underlayment I have used. The good part is the Chinook is such a small area you can try it out and still be able to remove it without a ton of work.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks - that's encouraging. I like the idea of getting a little more sound insulation into the rig and I figure as long as I'm taking the carpet out I should go ahead and use the Dynamat.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

I finally finished my vinyl floors. I didn't want to hijack this thread so I started a new one.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=838

I will say that I've noticed something previously noted in this thread. When I put the self adhesive pieces down, they were laid with zero gaps. After a couple of cold nights and warm days (low 40s at night and mid 70s in the day) some gaps have become evident. Not bad enough to be an issue, but enough to annoy me since I spent so much time making it perfect. Oh well. It still looks way better than the stained, matted pink shag carpet that was in there before.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

post redacted.
Last edited by Colorider on October 21st, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Colorider wrote:Thanks for the offer. With a wife and a baby on the way, I think the dinette is the way to go. It gives us maximum bed space.
Oops sorry about that. I intended to send you a PM but posted (then deleted) here accidentally. :oops:
1994 Premier
Aikensb

Post by Aikensb »

Paul[/quote]

OK Paul I see what your plan is. I've put down a lot of click flooring in homes and don't think it would move much more if any with dynamat than some of the foam underlayment I have used. The good part is the Chinook is such a small area you can try it out and still be able to remove it without a ton of work.[/quote]

Not sure what Dynamat is, but many of the new laminates come with the foam underlayment already attached, as did the laminate we installed in the Premiere. The Pergo website recommends that you do not use any additional foam underlayments with these products - I think it might even void the warranty. When we did our house basement kitchen, the product did not have an attached underlayment, so we did install the underlayment separately.