Removing top of dinette back rest?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Removing top of dinette back rest?

Post by Kirah »

Short version: Does anyone know of a non-destructive way to remove the top, attached/built-in cushion on the dinette? I was poking around but didn't see anything obvious.

Long version: I have a new, young dog who is a destructive little escape artist, and I need to make room for her crate, at least in the short term. The crate is 24"x36", which turns out to be approximately the same size as one of the dinette benches. But it can't sit firmly on the seat unless I remove the cushion and that curved trim piece on the side. I see screws for the trim piece, but I'm not seeing how the cushion is attached. I suspect that means it's glued or stapled on, but I thought I'd ask for tips before I break out the knives and saws and implements of destruction :)
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
Colorider

Re: Removing top of dinette back rest?

Post by Colorider »

Mine looks a bit different, being an older premier, but I did it. I wouldn't call it non-destructive though. I had to remove about a million staples, uncover the back rest (as mine was covered in vinyl) and pull off a piece of wood that was well glued and screwed. I then re-covered with the original vinyl and re-stapled. I'm not certain that I love the modification, but I can now put the butt cushion under the back cushion instead of the other way around. It's a long story why I wanted to do this but suffice it to say that it wasn't working the other way. The down side to doing this is that now the hinged backrest on the dinette (the one touching the passenger seat) flops more than it used to because the upper portion of the backrest used to keep everything compressed. I had to create a strap system to take it's place. It's also not quite as comfy as it used to be.

Bottom line, if you can come up with a different solution, I'd go that way.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

Thanks.

I don't remember seeing a hinge. I'll have to take another look at what's going on further down the back.
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

There was a style change sometime around 1996 or so. My '94 has a bunch of quirks that others around here don't seem to have. Of course, as the third owner (or more), I have no way of knowing what is stock and what is a mod. The woodwork on the bench looks stock, though. My dinette bench is hinged, but only on the bench that backs up to the front passenger seat. The backrest of the dinette can fold down to allow the front seat to recline.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8