Removal of backrests on couch & dinette on Chinook Premier

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Riverman47

Removal of backrests on couch & dinette on Chinook Premier

Post by Riverman47 »

I purchased a 2002 Chinook Premier last Fall & am trying to modify the couch bed by removing the backrest. My wife & I prefer not to open up the couch since it eliminates the aisle. Removing the back would also increase the size of the mattress surface area & enable us to better utilize the space behind the backrest. Removal will be difficult mainly due to limited access. The back's hinge seems to be held by rivets rather than by nuts & bolts. I know one owner who had a professional do it and another who removed the couch and replaced it with a custom bed rebuilt with 2 X 4s & plywood. Ideally I like to remove the backrest w/o cutting the frame so that when we eventually sell our rig we'll have the backrest available should the buyer prefer it in the original configuration. I plan to contact Flexsteel Inc. for ideas.

I'm also making the dinette backrest just behind the passenger seat removable to increase the legroom for sleeping. I plan to remove the long horizontal hinge and install 2 or 3 large barrel latches. Elbow room will again be a challenge.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Revealing photos even more so...

George
Blue~Go

Re: Removal of backrests on couch & dinette on Chinook Premi

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi George,

Are you still doing the couch mod? (Or have you already done it.)

I removed my Flexsteel couch and went with a different design, so while I did not simply remove the back, I did get very familiar with the frame! I have some photos, but will wait to see where you are in the process.
1999 Concourse
Imlucinda

Re: Removal of backrests on couch & dinette on Chinook Premier

Post by Imlucinda »

Like Riverman47, we would like to remove the back of the couch as it will give more room as a sleeping platform. Anyone know if this is doable. Blue~go do you have info?

Lucinda
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

I see a lot of posting on things being removed from Chinooks, I am in need of a piece of teal color fabric to have a chair repaired in my 2000 Concourse, if anyone has this please reply. Thanks
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
terance13

Post by terance13 »

The previous owner of our 2001 Premier, shorten the bench next the burner, and the cushions and the length of the table by 7". Now when the couch is open, there is a small aisle. When the couch in closed, it opens up the dinette area. And that aisle is really useful for our nocturnal bathroom breaks...we don't have to wake someone up. We thought that was weird at first, but boy are we happy with the modified setup.

This might be an alternative to what you are looking to do. Good luck!