Today's Project

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

Today's Project

Post by Skillet »

My mirrors came looking pretty yellowed and crappy and it's been bothering me since I've had it. To try a cheap fix, I bought some white, Rustoleum paint/primer and it worked well. I sanded the mirrors and wiped them off with a wet cloth. I then taped (blue painter's tape) newspaper to the doors, windows, and body around the mirrors. Lastly, I held up a big piece of cardboard to block most of the over-spray since it was a little windy. I used 3 coats and am very satisfied with the work, knowing it doesn't look professional, but much better to me. I realize the pictures are of 2 different sides, but the colors of both were the same before and after.
Attachments
Mirror After.jpg
Mirror Before.jpg
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Today's Project

Post by Manitou »

Looks mich better than the previous owner did to mine. They used house paint and a brush (can see how thick and brush strokes)
I'm considering redoing them with black plastidip. I've been adding black accents but starting to worry I might be isolating who I could sell it to. Then again, most older retired couple won't care or want to pay extra for the 4x4 mine has anyway.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Manitou wrote:I've been adding black accents but starting to worry I might be isolating who I could sell it to. Then again, most older retired couple won't care or want to pay extra for the 4x4 mine has anyway.
I don't remember knowing you had a 4x4. Was it done prior to you doing it or did you have it done? I would love to do mine but would rather save up for a new paint job first. I would at least love to raise mine a few inches. You're right, if I was going to buy yours, I wouldn't even worry about the mirrors. That can be fixed in a couple different ways.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I had it done, but can't recomend the shop that did it. It was an ongoing nightmare, but finally done with it/them.
I've only really needed the 4x4 twice in about 4-5 months. The extra lift I use all the time for backing into parking spaces. The lift gets the black tank controls up over the curb instead now. Definitely recomend the lift for the money. Another step could be taking it to quadvan for bigger front brakes. You'd probably have to get bigger rims and then tires too though.
The 4x4 has been great to have.. The 2 times I needed it.
I need to post some updates pictures of my rig.