How Many Back Door Keys?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Roger D

How Many Back Door Keys?

Post by Roger D »

This is my 1998 Concourse. I have 2 keys for the back door. The door and rear latch assembly appear the same as other coache's pictures. The upper and lower cylinders are keyed differently. I'd prefer simplify my keyring. Is this standard? Can the latch cylinders be removed and have a locksmith rekey them the same?
Blue~Go

Re: How Many Back Door Keys?

Post by Blue~Go »

I believe the two different keys for the back door is normal. I say this because I bought my Chinook from the original owner, and all the paperwork, manuals, and etc. were pretty organized. I have a feeling that if the key situation had been addressed by a repair there would have been a note in the service records.

My Chinook came with two (or three?) full sets of keys, and each set has one key for the lower lock and one for the upper lock in the back door. The locks are a bit different from each other: The upper one is more of a deadbolt style (solid metal bar comes out and engages door frame), while the lower one is more of an internal thing (nothing "juts" out when you lock it, just something happens inside the part on the door).

I have an early '99, so likely very similar to your 1998. Back door lock/handle mechanism is the Tri-Mark 030-0900. I see in their documentation they do mention that the "paddle" lock (lower one) can be engaged before you close the door; obviously the deadbolt wouldn't be able to do that.
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

My 2004 Premier are both different as well. I'm no locksmith and not sure if they can be keyed alike but in looking at the keys for mine I doubt it without some sort of cylinder change.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Both locks are made by TriMark, but they use different key blanks. You will need to replace the lock cylinder instead of just rekey it (which keep the cylinder, but replace the key pins). This is because the top key does not go into the bottom cylinder, and vice versa. I don't think it is impossible, but it is certainly more work for a locksmith, if he/she can find a compatible cylinder.

As an alternative, you can always just lock one of the locks and leave the other one always unlock. If you just need to carry one key...

I don't know if the reason for the different keying is due to the use of a common lock for one of them. It is possible, for example, one of my back door keys opens up majority of other Chinook or other TriMark doors. I don't know if that is the case, but if it is, then you would not want to key both of your locks to work with those keys, but it certainly very convenience if you ever lost your key in a RV park, and need to get inside quick without going thru the cab doors.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

Thanks for all the details. That explains the 2 keys.