LP gas detector

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

LP gas detector

Post by chin_k »

There is a thread on disconnect parasitic draws in the rig recently. here

I just got my Dometic fridge a recall kit installed. This prompted me to check the rest of the propane system, and the next urgent thing is the LP gas detector near the sink.

I assume it needs to be replaced soon, so I removed it, and it says manufactured back in 1999 :o :oops: It should only last 3 yrs, but most manufacturer says good for 5 years. The reason the alarm/detector does not last forever is because there is an electric heating element inside the little round metal package right next to the electric-chemical transducer. It is not because they just randomly slap a date on it to get us to buy a new one. I tested the old one, and sure enough, it was completely useless for both propane and butane. Glad that we never have a LP leak when we were sleeping. I got the smoke/CO alarm taken care of a couple years ago because it is available in battery-operated device. For LP alarm, it has to be hardwired and more expensive due to the heating requirement and low production number.

I just want some of you to know this. Glad that you heard this from me now, and not from a news article.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Bett

Re: LP gas detector

Post by Bett »

:o That last sentence you wrote was really a ‘drop the mic’ ending. I wonder how many of us are in the same position with our leak detectors being kaput- probably quite a few.

I recently read an (old) article about a couple who died in their RV from Carbon Monoxide poisoning and it stuck with me. As a newbie I didn’t even know about this LP gas leak detector yet, and definitely appreciate the heads up. 👍🏼
“Don’t believe everything you think.”
1995 Chinook Concourse club dinette
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I recently replaced my hard wired LP with a new hard wired one, and bought a new 10 year battery CO detector instead of the hard wire. Of course, the smoke alarms are also the 10 year battery type.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
SMan

Post by SMan »

Dredging this one up as I have a question about my 2004 Premier. In looking to replace my LP Gas detector I notice it is next to the rear closet placed close to 5 feet high. Is that correct placement as I thought LP Gas was heavier than air and should be near the floor.

Also are there any reason to not replace the CO detector at the base of the sink cabinet with a battery operated one?

I would welcome any opinions here. Thanks!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

It seems those are reversed!
My LP detector is at floor level by sink, and original CO detector is at high closet level.
I replaced my hard wired LP one with new from Amazon.
I replaced my CO one with a 10 year version and screwed it right on top of the old one by the closet.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Ditto what Astro said.

I wonder how did someone reversed the two detectors. Weird.
SMan

Post by SMan »

chin_k wrote: September 9th, 2019, 10:58 am Ditto what Astro said.

I wonder how did someone reversed the two detectors. Weird.
I wonder as well. The rig was purchased new by my cousin and her husband and the devices look original. We purchased it from them about 2013. I'll ask them. (I'll also pull them this afternoon and look for dates) I also doubled checked about the recall kit on the refer (because of recent conversations) and it appears to be done as the extra shielding is in place.

I appreciate the responses!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think the Trail Wagon folks crimped the wires together, so if the detectors are original, you will see that it was installed by the factory. If you see wire nuts, then it is replacement.

I think the LP detector is only good for 3 or 5 yrs, but maybe that is assume we have them constantly on? Mine was original when I replaced it, and it was non-functional with the butane/propane test. :shock:
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I replaced my LP detector with a new hard wired one in the same location, bottom of the sink area.
I disconnected the old CO detector and screwed on the new 10 year battery type directly onto the face of the old one.
It is located above the closet door.
I still have to see if my fridge has had the recall done.
I have a feeling it hasn’t. Where do I go to get it done, an RV Repair place or RV dealer?
SMan

Post by SMan »

Astrodokk wrote: September 9th, 2019, 9:17 pm I replaced my LP detector with a new hard wired one in the same location, bottom of the sink area.
I disconnected the old CO detector and screwed on the new 10 year battery type directly onto the face of the old one.
It is located above the closet door.
I still have to see if my fridge has had the recall done.
I have a feeling it hasn’t. Where do I go to get it done, an RV Repair place or RV dealer?
Thanks for your responses Astro. Dometic's website has a list of authorized repair centers that will do the kit for free. I would lean towards a shop that does a lot of appliance installations and repairs rather than a dealer. The list should have both. (Bought a new motorhome from Poulsbo RV and was not impressed with their service dept but that was years ago).
Last edited by SMan on September 10th, 2019, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10