Off to the Ford Dealer

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

Off to the Ford Dealer

Post by Skillet »

Dropped off the Concourse at a Ford dealer's truck center this morning to address a couple issues. The "service engine soon" light has been on since I bought it. My reader says it's related to the mass air flow sensor. I tried cleaning it and replacing the air filter without success. Also, the brakes have been real mushy. Almost to the floor before it kicks in. Then I need State inspection done so I can transfer my tags from my old truck to it. Told them to do what it takes for those items. Also requested they triage it since I have no maintenance history for it. They won't get to it until tomorrow or Wednesday so it'll be gone for a while. However, all necessary immediate items that I can't do myself. Hopefully there won't be too many mechanical things wrong with it. I might have them do all the fluids as a precaution and a base point for future repairs/history.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Off to the Ford Dealer

Post by Manitou »

I'm curious what they say about the brakes and MAF. FYI, a common thing for the v10's are new plugs and "boots". The boots are known to go bad and the plugs can get loose and fly out of the head. I had both replaced on mine a year ago because I got a check engine light. I could tell it wasn't miss firing though (so I knew that was causing my check engine light).
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Hmmm, I'll have to remember to ask him about checking that. I was told it will get a full, standard checkout. I think he said 47 point or something. I don't know the interval plugs need to be changed so I'll that to the list when I talk to him again. Thanks!
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Dealer called me this morning and said he found the problem of the "service engine soon" light. The mass air flow sensor was unplugged... I wish I knew more about engines that I could have spotted this myself. The up side is that I don't need a new one or something further is wrong. Downside is I paid for their diagnostic hookup to discover that. :oops:

Brakes being mushy: Said there was something like oil mixed in with the brake fluid in the lines. He said he doesn't know what it is or even how it got in there. I asked if someone could have mistaken the brake reservoir for an oil port and he said unlikely, but wouldn't rule it out. They have to replace the master brake cylinder now and "hopefully" that will take care of the problem. I'm now waiting to hear if it took care of the problem...

I told him to check out the rest of it mechanically because I have no base for maintenance records. I was told the fluids all look good but said the rear differential fluid could be changed. Said it didn't need it at this point but would down the road. I told him to do it anyway as well as the oil (even tho I can do that).

One thing I said could be on the back-burner is the diverter for the a/c, heat, and vent up front is only blowing out of the defogger and not the standard vents. It cools great, just blows at the windshield. He said it would be quite expensive to take out the dash and fix/replace it. Said there's an option to "move it" and it wouldn't require taking the dash apart. And it would be cheaper. I'm waiting on a price for that and we didn't go into detail about what that means. It's back-burner because while it still cools the cab, it's not critical. I'm sure it'll drive me nuts tho as it gets hotter.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I have to run right now, but wanted to at least post something. Sounds like your problem with the HVAC is a vacuum problem. The selector system (Defrost vs. heat. vs. vents etc.) runs off vacuum and the default position when it's not working is "always defrost" (safety, I guess). A failing stage just before that is when they all work, but when you work the engine hard (thus straining vacuum capabilities) it momentarily all goes to defrost, but then comes back to normal operation.

Okay, not too complicated, BUT, apparently in the vans, there is a vacuum reservoir/hose connections that are virtually impossible to get to (literally, there are photo tutorials of how to cut open the inside of the passenger wheelwell to get to it!). However, you can -- with much less trouble -- just bypass that and add a new vacuum reservoir/hose connections. Maybe that's what the dealer is referring to.

If you want to read/see much more about it, check out some posts on the Ford Truck Forum -- they have a special sub-forum for the E-Series vans.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

You are correct about the vacuum. He said it was a vacuum leak to the environmental system that was causing it and did the "move". He said it was an emergency default that it would go to the defrost. So if it was winter, I would at least have the windshield cleared for driving. From what you just described I'm sure that's the work they did. Working great now and you cleared that up for me and I can see why a regular fix would have been so expensive. At least it confirms they were honest with me. They could have charged me up the wall due to my ignorance.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Oh, so did you have that done already? Would be interesting to know how a dealer handled it. You'd think that would be the type of thing where they would "have to" go by the book and fix it "the official way" (thus costing about nine million dollars). Very cool if they did the retrofit instead -- I thought that was only a DIY type fix.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

They definitely did the retro fix. The service manager said he recommended it because the other way was too expensive. That did surprise me that I was being given an option. I really had it in for 2 things. The "service engine soon" light and my brakes. Brakes was the scariest to be driving around on and it's solid now. I told them to fix what they found (I got my tax refund check and had money to spend) since I didn't want to worry about anything mechanically. They said besides what I brought it in for that it was in good shape mechanically. They recommended the rear diff oil be changed but said it didn't need it right away. I had them do that and a standard oil change. I can do very minor things like oil changes but since I knew nothing about the vehicle I wanted the first one done with a dealer.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Well that sounds good all the way around. It's a good feeling when you get to a "baseline" on a new-to-you vehicle with maintenance that you know is fresh. I did similar and have never regretted it.

You mentioned "Service Engine Soon" but not which specific code was thrown. I'm guessing from that you don't have a Scangauge II (or equivalent) so I'm going to put in a hearty recommendation for one. It is a plug-and-play simple device that you simply plug into the OBD port (it's just under the edge of the lower covering panel below the steering wheel - essentially between your knees when you are driving) and then it tells you all kinds of good stuff! For example:

Transmission fluid temperature (in degrees) (this is why I bought mine)
Engine coolant temperature (in degrees, not just a needle that might suddenly lurch upward)
MPG
MPG average
RPM (handy when towing and/or first getting to know the rig)
Intake air temp
Voltage (see how the alternator is doing and/or be warned of it getting creaky)

There are four display areas and you just scroll through and pick the four you want to view (which you can change easily any time). These are viewable on the fly.

Then, it will also read codes. So say your "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. You push a button on the Scan gauge and it says you have one stored code. You look and see it says "P0401" (for example). A moment googling tells you what this means. Sure, maybe you are going to take it to a shop, but it's still good to know. Also, with certain codes (ones that aren't going to cause immediate serious problems), I would dismiss it (you can "clear" them yourself and the light will go out) and see how/when it comes back, because this can help the mechanic -as clues. It will store multiple codes.

There are a few other brands/models (Ultra Gauge is slicker and newer and cheaper, but I still prefer ScanGauge II), but the main thing is to have one, IMO. I just think they are fantastic. You hardly need the dashboard anymore :lol: (well no, you do, but I'm only half joking).

No, I don't have stock - just sounds like it :lol:
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Actually, I do have a reader that's bluetooth. I use it with the Android program Torque Pro. It had pointed me to the mass air flow sensor as being the problem. I don't know enough to remove it, but I borrowed my neighbor's can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and sprayed it up good. I even replaced the air filter. That was the extent of my knowledge. I reset the code but it came back. Fortunately, I wasn't having any engine issues because of it. What they found? It was unplugged... :oops: That cost me money for them to run the scan. An expensive and embarrassing mistake at the same time...