Wall Tile or Wallpaper

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
retiredtim

Re: Wall Tile or Wallpaper

Post by retiredtim »

Also had to replace floor. Previous owner glued laminate flooring over carpet. Had to remove all that crap, wife says it's easier to keep clean now with new laminate. (Happy wife-Happy life)
Attachments
SAM_4587.JPG
SAM_4586.JPG
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That backsplash looks a bit like the galvanized sheets I buy at Home Depot for long-term/temporary roof and wall patches. About 28" x 34" or something like that? Nifty idea. Since removing the range hood I can only put magnets on the medicine cabinet walls :mrgreen:

Flooring looks good too. Since lots of people are interested in flooring replacements, would you be able to re-post it in one of the flooring threads? (Or mod move it?). I feel like some folks might miss it here in a thread on wall tile and wall treatments.
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I'm with you Blue, on wishing I had the grey interior. But the sage green was the best rig I could find at the time, so...
Changing out the fabric walls appears to be more of a project than I want to take on at the moment. I need to finish the galley remodel first. But in your case, it sounds like you've stripped her down pretty good, and you can choose to do anything you want. Auto trim shops tell me the best fabric to work with is a "tweed". Covers a whole bunch of sins and is easy to work with (moulding curves, trimming...).
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'd be interested to see some of the tweed. It's hard for me to imagine a tweed that would stretch more than the headliner product (the knit of it is stretchy like a T-shirt), and I could *barely* get that to smoothly make the compound curves of the pillars (and I could tell Chinook had to work at it too). The "suede," more premium stuff (it's not actually leather) wouldn't make it at all, although I did like it better. I probably don't want a tweed look, but I'd still be interested to see which fabric they are talking about.

I think (but at this point it is only "think") that doing the paintable wallpaper on the side walls would be the easiest (and I'd also like it better than fabric walls - geez, a person has to be able to kill a mosquito *somewhere* that is not fabric or carpet!). Reason I say that is there would be no need to remove the walls or upper cabinets - or even the couch ledger. Just the window clamp rings (for the tidiest job), and the trim strips that cover the living room/kitchen transitions.

Taking out the pillars and upper face piece wasn't too bad, although the pillars require some cursing, and the face piece some contorting. I had some wiring work I wanted to do anyway. I'm just living with them out for now (and, dangerously, getting VERY used to that HUGE access to the cabover storage area!). I just have some fabric covering the forward area, so I don't have to look at "raw areas." Reason is that I have a better place to work in winter. Plus I'm still tossing ideas around in my mind...

Yep, if I were Trail Wagons I would have made all of the interiors either grey or light beige, but then still made the varying exterior colors. Seems like it would have been easier for them, and then I could have had my blue exterior and a light grey interior (and same for you with that nice sage green - I like that color a lot too). Well, look on the bright side, we missed the mauve era.... :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Here's a link to an ebay ad for the "Tweed fabrics" I was referring to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prestige-Tweed- ... 3641.l6368

Oh look! They have LIGHT BLUE!!!!
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

HoosierB wrote:I was wondering how difficult it would be to change the "velvety fabric" on the walls? It appears to be a basic automotive headliner material with thin foam backing. If one could just lay over a new fabric using spray adhesive, and some tucking here and there? Or dyeing the existing wall fabric a different color?
The trouble with dye is that you only go darker. For example, I hated the 1990s pale red color and used a light grey upholstery spray... but it came out dark as you can see on the back and bottom of the seating:
dusty rose to dark grey
dusty rose to dark grey
So I punted, kept those parts dark, and found some lighter colored sofa covers online that I cut up and sewed into cushion covers:
rose to tucson blue grey covers
rose to tucson blue grey covers
Fortunately, my window walls were already covered in grey.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

HoosierB wrote:Here's a link to an ebay ad for the "Tweed fabrics" I was referring to.
Thanks. Okay, I see it is not foam backed. I think a person would want the foam layer because.... well, why? My guess'd be that it might come out rumply without it, but maybe not? With the foam I don't think you could stretch it enough in enough directions (guessing anyway).
HoosierB wrote:Oh look! They have LIGHT BLUE!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil:
:mrgreen:
kdarling wrote:
Fortunately, my window walls were already covered in grey.
Well aren't you just the lucky one :D :D
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

kdarling,

Your interior transformation is great! And exactly where I would like to go with mine...only I have to deal with the Sage Green... not as neutral as your grey. However, I may be able to start by changing the upholstery fabric color and the window shades. In addition, we've also been looking into using carpet tiles to change out the green plush carpeting for something more neutral. I just received an order for some new wallpaper that is a very neutral, light beige grasscloth. The plan is to cover the existing "papered walls" in the galley area and also the closet door and bathroom door walls to lighten things up back there.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

HoosierB wrote:I just received an order for some new wallpaper that is a very neutral, light beige grasscloth. The plan is to cover the existing "papered walls" in the galley area and also the closet door and bathroom door walls to lighten things up back there.
Oh come on! Just rip out that wall fabric and put the wallpaper there too! And then show us :D

(Then use grey or similar light headliner on the pillars and entertainment area fiberglass moldings.)
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Blue~Go wrote: Oh come on! Just rip out that wall fabric and put the wallpaper there too! And then show us :D

(Then use grey or similar light headliner on the pillars and entertainment area fiberglass moldings.)
Sure, easy for you to say! :lol:
The trim shop "guy" says that the existing foam backed headliner provides pretty good sound deadening, which is one reason (I guess) Chinook chose to go that way. He also told me the "tweed" fabrics offer up similar qualities in acoustics because it is a denser fabric (even without the foam backing) and way easier to work with (and more forgiving) in a retro fit situation.