Just dropped mine off for 4x4 conversion

Storage area for pdf's, doc's, etc..
Manitou
Site Admin

Just dropped mine off for 4x4 conversion

Post by Manitou »

I'm excited to say I just dropped my rig off at Colorado camper conversions for 4x4 conversion. http://coloradocampervan.com/4X4_Conver ... rsion.html
This is by far the most I've ever spent on a vehicle apart from actually buying it. I hope it's worth it. I was second guessing myself until I got to colorado and wanted to go camp at picketwire canyon. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/abo ... sm9_032702
It had started to rain and after reading all the signs about limited vehicle access and auto tours provided via 4x4 vehicles.. I decided not to even try it. Perhaps with just the 4" lift I might have given it a go. Even then, had I gotten a little stuck, I wasn't exactly excited about the idea of getting muddy (and cold) to get myself unstuck should that happen. So.. to 4x4 shop I went. Derek strikes me as a good guy and easy to get along with. Hopefully that continues through out this conversion process. He only needs 2-4 weeks to convert, but I told him I'm in not hurry. I want to save up a bit of money and also time the pick up with good snow out there (want to go snowboarding at a place or two before I start heading back to Tahoe with it).
Some black paint and 4x4 should make it look pretty bad ass too! haha
Concourse

Re: Just dropped mine off for 4x4 conversion

Post by Concourse »

Congrats on taking the plunge!

In driving my Concourse there have been a few times I was concerned about approach or departure angles and if the sewer plumbing might hit. The good thing about the Concourse is the closeness of the sewer to the rear wheel/axle because just when the pipe looks like it might hit the wheel rises up the obsticle so the sewer does too. The rear step will hit before the sewer when it comes to a longer grade type slope of a ramp or back driveway enterance. Its come close but I've avoided it.

But this is all pavement talk. Even with the lift of the 4x4 adding clearance, how do you plan on avoiding coming down off a rock or over water run dip without the sewer hitting? Will you add protection like a plate or bar?
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I bumped mine in w hotel parking lot. Backing it in, the step went over the curb, but the sewer connection did not. Luckily it was just a bump and repairs weren't extensive.
I don't have plans for a bar or plate yet. Will see how she is in early December (he'll have it converted long before that, but I can't get it till then most likely.
Toc503

Post by Toc503 »

I am new to this forum, and just purchased a chinook concourse. Also new to the rv world. I am thinking about converting my concourse to 4x4. I was wondering what size lift did you put on your concourse. Have you done any other up grades to you vehicle.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I don't have my rig back yet, but it's supposed to be about a 4" lift. If you're just concerned with ground clearance, you can lift it for much less $ than a 4x4 conversion.

As for other upgrades, I've noted them on this site in various places. New water pump, new battery charger, new circuit board and thermocoupler for the fridge, new motor for the roof a/c, new fan/vent in the bathroom.
I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about the old entertainment stuff. Part of me wants to rip it all out and create some sort of sliding bed. Part of me wants to just do what ever one else has and put in a flat screen and stuff instead.

Congrats on the new rig. You should post up a picture in the general foru, when you get a chance. Always nice to see other rigs.
Toc503

Post by Toc503 »

Very interested to know more about your 4x4 conversion. I am seriously thinking about doing the same to my 2002 concourse sometime mid next year. I look forward to seeing some pics and hearing more on your conversion.
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Manitou wrote:I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about the old entertainment stuff. Part of me wants to rip it all out and create some sort of sliding bed. Part of me wants to just do what ever one else has and put in a flat screen and stuff instead.
If you go the way of replacing the components it is resonably affordable now with the cost of electronics where it is. A decent 19" flatscreen and a BluRay disc player plus a TV mount can be done for $300+. The old CRT TV and VHS players removed adds more storage space to the bulkhead cabinet as the flatscreen is surface mounted and the BluRay is half the size of a VHS.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

What a nightmare this has turned into. So many complaints I don't know where to start. Hopefully I'll be done with this shop soon. I have a feeling I'll need an expert in ford ABS systems to resolve the ABS but they are still fighting. I can't wait around here anymore.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

It does look pretty baddae though.
Attachments
image.jpg
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Another angle