Current pic (April 2015)

Post by Manitou »

Just posting up what it looks like now
Attachments
image.jpg
chinook440

Re: Current pic (April 2015)

Post by chinook440 »

Looks Great ! How does it ride and handle compared to before the conversion ?

I like the blacked out wheels to . What size tires are you running ?
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Love it, looks tough. I know you didn't like the shop where you had it done, but can any conversion shop do it?
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

That's a tricky question. I'd say any real 4x4 shop could do Chris's conversion from Ujoint Offroad.
If you didn't go that route, I'd say quadvan has the "best" but by far the most expensive.
Advanced 4x4 has probably the least expensive and still stable conversion. However, their support after the sale isn't great unless you physically drive back there (not much help trying to troubleshoot/fix something remotely.. Where Ujoint is epic in that area)

Rims are 17". I'll have to check on tire size. I think they are the stock option for f350 from 2005-2008ish. Biggest michelin LTX 17" load E.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Sadly.. I might sell it. I'm living in it now, and it's pretty small.
cjkdigiacomo

Post by cjkdigiacomo »

Sorry to hear you might have to sell. I'm still in the process of my conversion. The front axle is in and man did it first look like it was sitting high. I compared to yours and it looks about the same. If you have some time could you post some photos of the underside. I and many others could find it helpful when tackling a conversion and no such chinook specific info is online. The more pics the better. Thanks a lot. Chris
cjkdigiacomo

Post by cjkdigiacomo »

Also, have you had any problems with death wobble? I had this in a wrangler and it nearly took me off a bridge. Scary as hell. I can't imagine how bad it could be in a 10,000 pound vehicle. Have you noticed anything? Thanks again, Chris
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Anything in particular you want to see? The conversion wasn't done by me, but yes death wobble was experienced. Twice by me and once by the people who did the conversion (after I took it back due to the first 2 times). Their fix was to put double opposing shocks on the front axle. That did the trick.
cjkdigiacomo

Post by cjkdigiacomo »

Thanks for the quick response. I would love pics of axles, where they connect to frame, leaf spring connection to frame, shocks, coils, linkage on front axle, steering stabilizers, driveshaft linkage, transfer case and tranny, anything that you think could be helpful to someone trying to do a conversion. Sorry if it is a lot. Even a video would be great. I plan to make a YouTube video showing mine in detail once it is done. Currently there is nothing out there online for this type of conversion. It would be a great resource for anyone considering it.

Thanks,
Chris

Also, in regard to living in the chinook. I live in mine with my girlfriend and two 50 pound dogs for 42 days last summer. It really makes you utilize the layout to the fullest. This winter I pulled the couch out and made a futon frame out of wood. I ordered a 6" spring futon mattress. This design gave me about a foot of storage space in front of the water tank and plenty of room for pillows and blankets behind the backrest of the futon. I did lose a little bit of the window because the back of the futon covers it. I also cut down the dinette to sit one person of either side. This gave plenty of walking room when the futon is ip in the seated position. I will def include links t videos I make once I get my chinook back from the conversion guy.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Definitely let us know when you post the video. My very long-term plans include going 4x4. Like you said, any info out there specific to our vehicle is better than none. I think I'll get a paint job before I go 4x4 tho. Mine is in bad need of it.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...