Front end motor scooter carrier

Storage area for pdf's, doc's, etc..
conk1975

Front end motor scooter carrier

Post by conk1975 »

I have a 150cc motor scooter for little side trips. I currently have the rack mounted on the rear of my 1975 Concourse. But, of course that blocks the only door. There are some days that the scooter does not need to come off the rack. That being the case, I am considering mounting it on the front end. I have checked with a hitch installer and have been assured that a 2” receiver can be mounted. It will have the upside f allowing me to keep an eye n the scooter while driving. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this already.

Have concerns about exposing it to rocks and turning it into a bug killer but when the first thing I need to do when I pull in is remove the scooter and the rack and stow them before I can do anything else.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Front end motor scooter carrier

Post by chin_k »

There are three major brands, but I think two of them is identical, that you may want to take a look.

1, Reese 65001
2, Draw-Tite 65001
3, Curt 33055

The Curt seems to be cheaper consistently, for some reason. If you mount the scooter in the front, you may want to take a look at how it going to block the lights, and if it will block the air flow to the radiator. You may want to consider getting a cover for the scooter, if you want to keep it clean.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Re: Front end motor scooter carrier

Post by Blue~Go »

I have the Draw-Tite 2" front hitch and their matching, excellent anti rattle product. It's a bolt on fit.

I use it to mount the spare, which has not caused any cooling problems. But the (Draw-Tite) spare holder is set out and at an angle, and I have a perforated spare cover.

Check out threads by Deppstein. He carries electric bike(s) on a front hitch. He did have some cooling and light-blocking issues which he solved by adjusting placement (cooling) and adding snowplow lights.

There is some info here and other info in temperature/gaueg threads he posted in.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=969&start=30
1999 Concourse