Replaced Penguin roof AC with Brisk Air II

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Manitou
Site Admin

Replaced Penguin roof AC with Brisk Air II

Post by Manitou »

i fought the original unit last summer, but eventually got it working (after $100-200 in parts and lots of sweet hours in the Florida sun. So when it quit working a few weeks ago, I had a short fuse. The fan would run (the issue last summer meant new motor for fan), but now the compressor wouldn't kick in. It would try, but not go. I replacement both capacitors since they were cheap items. Didn't do the trick, so I said eff it.. I'm getting a new one.
I researched for a few hours and was torn between brisk air II with heat strip or penguin II with heat pump. I ultimately chose the Brisk Air II mainly due to it being half the price. $750 vs $1500. You can get the BAII for even less if you give up the remote thermostat. I like having it, so spent the extra 200 for it and a heat strip (the base model has neither). Both models we're 13.5 btu. The BAII with heat pump model seemed to only come in 15k btu. I think even 13.5 is over kill but whatever. Oh, the 15k claims to be over our generator's ability whereas the 13.5 isn't. So.. Another reason for not going any bigger.
The BAII claims all sorts of efficiencies enhancements but the only one that stick out was its about 75lbs vs 100lbs. It is a little taller, but for me.. Didn't matter. I have a cover over the fantastic fan so I'm sure a good portion of the ac is already in that wind sock.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Replaced Penguin roof AC with Brisk Air II

Post by Manitou »

Just another after install.
Attachments
image.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Good to read your info. The AC on mine was working fine when I removed it, but if I ever wanted to put it back (for selling, most likely), I might consider a new one (just because). So I liked reading your thoughts on the various models.

Was interesting to see your photos. The install/wiring looks just about the same as my '99. Guess they had no reason to change :)

Just curious: How did you remove the old one (and replace)? I was by myself so I used a combination of towels/blankets (for padding), a couple of long 2 x 6 boards, and some line. Always fun to find out how others do the same task. (A friend was sure I would call for help, trapped under the AC, but it worked out just fine.)
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I picked the old one up and threw it off the roof.
My nephew (14 years old)helped me get the new one up. We left it in the box and put a racket strap around it. He was up in the roof basket pulling/ballancing and I lifted/climbed up the later.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Manitou wrote:I picked the old one up and threw it off the roof.
Ha! That must have felt good (since it was giving you trouble). I figured if I tried that it would end up bouncing and breaking a window or something (well, and plus mine was still working).
1999 Concourse