Interior detailing questions

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Bett

Interior detailing questions

Post by Bett »

Hello all,

I finally have my 1995 Chinook Concourse back home!

First off, thanks once again for the great advice and support thus far. I’ve joined a few other forums and this one is by far the most informative and helpful (not to mention kind and civil). :)

I’m starting my interior detailing project. I have a Ridgid shop Vac with the auto detailing kit. I also have a Bissell Little Green portable cleaner, and a Bissell PowerDash Pet compact upright cleaner. I’ve got several scrub brushes and a ton of microfiber cloths. I know I can use the Ridgid as a more powerful extractor if needed. Armed with my YouTube detailing education I’m about to dive in!

I’m wondering about the giant Flexsteel seats in the front and the club chairs in the back. They are extremely deep and ‘fluffy’. I love the comfort while sitting in them but they are filled with 23 years of dust I think. When I slap my hand down on the drivers seat, so much dust comes up you’d think I’d been to Burning Man. :|

Any advice on cleaning these? I was thinking to do a very thorough high suction vacuuming on them first, then cleaning them like any other seat.

My other concern is the fabric covered walls. I’m removing the original window shades and discovered there is some staining around the edges of the windows. Is there any reason I shouldn’t clean the walls like upholstery?
“Don’t believe everything you think.”
1995 Chinook Concourse club dinette
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Interior detailing questions

Post by HoosierB »

Bett wrote: September 28th, 2019, 3:21 pm Any advice on cleaning these? I was thinking to do a very thorough high suction vacuuming on them first, then cleaning them like any other seat.
My other concern is the fabric covered walls. I’m removing the original window shades and discovered there is some staining around the edges of the windows. Is there any reason I shouldn’t clean the walls like upholstery?
FlexSteel recommends "professional cleaning" for the upholstery fabric. That said, DIY vacuuming would be a first step with little or no harm done to the fabric. Starting off with a low suction first would seem a more cautious approach to test the 23 year old fabric. As far as "diving in" with power cleaners and solvents...enter at your own risk. Consultation with a professional auto detailer would be a good one-time investment IMHO.

The wall fabric is different. It's more of a "automotive headliner" in construction and material...with a thin foam backing and a light-weight faux suede-like texture. I believe it is applied to the wall with an adhesive, which could determine what proper cleaning agent and application strength may be used. Again, I would leave it to a professional car detailer to check out the stains for removal.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Interior detailing questions

Post by sm350bl »

I have been in a holding pattern to do the same thing to my Chinook. Please share any tips, tricks, or anything else that you encountered. I got a bissel as well to hit the wall with......
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4