Closet door latch?

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Closet door latch?

Post by HoosierB »

My '01 Concourse remodel includes replacing the missing latch/handle/knob for the rear closet door. The PO removed the OEM mechanism and left a round hole in the existing oak door. I have no reference as to what type/style may have been there. Any pics or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Re: Closet door latch?

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't know about other eras, but my '99 had nothing except for the one "pinch catch" on the inside of the door (then you pulled on one of the dowel rods built into the outside of the door to open it). But that would sometimes come loose when driving, so the door would swing open, the light would come on, etc.

I noticed when looking at photos that some other Chinookers had added various exterior latches so they must have found the same issue. I figured I'd add something, but I didn't find anything super simple, because of how the door overlaps the opening, plus the shape of it, the fridge wall right next to it, etc. What I did was add another pinch catch further down on the inside of the door, so now there are two (I had a bunch of extras after removing some other doors) That has not come undone in a few thousand miles, and yet is not onerously hard to open when I want to.

This is what I mean; if your Chinook is like mine, there are plenty of these around. My closet had one; I added a second one.
door catch.jpg
door catch.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
That doesn't solve your hole though, I realize! But I just mention it since it the hole may not have been a "Chinook job" (or it may be, if at some point in the timeline they added a real latch).

Edited to add: Hmm, I was looking for a photo of a closet door like mine, and happened to see this photo from another '99 Concourse showing a "box latch" inside. I'm guessing this was owner added, because in another photo of a later (2000) Concourse, it shows the same "pinch catch" as mine has. But figured it might help you anyway (I have no photo showing the hallway side).
closet door inside.JPG
On the other hand, the latch "pops up again" in a 2003. But there is ALSO a pinch catch. So who knows! Be interesting to see what others have. And if this "box catch" involves a round hole. Maybe it does, so you can operate it from the hallway side.
closet.jpg
(BTW, meant to mention that I have not forgotten about the clock. I know where it is, but that "where it is" is a tub that's buried behind some other stuff, which I'm going to be moving relatively soon, at which point I'll unearth the clock.)
1999 Concourse
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

This looks like what's on my 2000 Concourse, I think I got the link from a Chinook parts list. Push the button in to lock and push again to unlock.
http://www.go2marine.com/product/39595F ... dware.html
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That looks like a good solution.

1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

BINGO! That's gotta be it.... thanks

(BG: no worries on the clock, and thank you)
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

What Jeanie and Blue posted is what's on my '02 closet door. I can take pics if further visuals are needed.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I know this is an old post, but just to want to mention that on mine, the factory drilled the hole off by 1/8 inch, and the latch does not "lock" when you push in the round button. On our first trip, the closet door keep pop open (we stuffed a bit more than what the closet can comfortable hold) in the middle of the drive, even when it was locked.

Since the hole was already drilled, and I can't relocate the latch mechanism, I added a 1/8 inch of shim to the lock jamb (I think this is what that is called), and move the brass latch plate on top of it. Now, it locks properly.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis