Dometic & Norcold Refrigerator Fires/Explosions

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
hbss1918

Dometic & Norcold Refrigerator Fires/Explosions

Post by hbss1918 »

A law firm is going after Norcold and Dometic for RV refrigerator fires:
Hagens Berman is investigating Norcold and Dometic for these companies' defective gas-absorption refrigerators that can explode or catch fire. The defective refrigerators have been installed in thousands of motorhomes, trailers, fifth-wheels and pop-ups, as well as boats. We believe Dometic and Norcold should be held responsible for this public safety hazard.
The defective refrigerators jeopardize the safety of RV and boat owners and damage property. Norcold and Dometic's gas-absorption fridges contain a cooling unit with a steel boiler tube that can crack, allowing highly flammable gases – including hydrogen gas – to escape. Experts discovered that a seam in the tube corrodes relatively rapidly even as the rest of the metal appears in good condition.
More here -- http://www.hbsslaw.com/cases-and-invest ... rigerators
Blue~Go

Re: Dometic & Norcold Refrigerator Fires/Explosions

Post by Blue~Go »

Just curious, are you from Hagens Berman, the law firm? I realize you didn't say that in your post, but your user-name matches it (hbss 1918). Maybe just coincidence.

This issue has been around for quite a while (not that that doesn't make it an issue, but just it's not new news).
1999 Concourse
BobNBarb

Post by BobNBarb »

Just wanted to bring this recall to the attention of new Chinook owners. We purchased our 2004 Premier from a dealer and expected the recall kit to have been installed on our Dometic, but NO it had not been. Just had it installed by authorized dealer along with a new board as it kept going to check when on propane.

BobNBarb
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Interesting. I'll allow this post, however, further attempts to drum up business will not be accepted.
BobNBarb

Post by BobNBarb »

I apologize if I have put this in the wrong subject area. I am not in any business. Just thought new owners should be aware of the recall.
I am a new Chinook owner. Domestic paid for the kit.

Barb
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm guessing he meant the first post (?), which, although it was months ago, looks as though it may have been posted by a law firm (but poster did not mention that).
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

How do we check to see if our fridges had the recall done? This is the first time I've heard of this! I don't want my Chinook to blow up while I'm in it.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7qQbF3Af0 link to a bad fix. I think it is interesting to see how many knuckleheads are around.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=8878.0

I can't find the recall notice from NHTSA, so I would call Dometic and ask them for the info if I were you.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis