Privacy Curtain

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Privacy Curtain

Post by jeanie19 »

I have a pair of black-out curtains to hang behind the driver/passenger seats, under the TV and upper hatch. Mostly to keep the cold from tumbling into the living area from the cab, and for privacy too.

I'm looking for ideas on how to suspend the curtains. Am thinking of a row of small hooks on the bulkhead just under the TV, hatch and stereo frames, with loops or rings on the back of the curtain, so the curtain would only be hung when needed and the hooks could be used for other things too. Maybe 4-5 hooks per curtain would hold it snug to the bulkhead.

Would actually prefer come up with a mounting system that would not need to make holes in the RV. The bulkhead is curved, so a straight rod would leave a gap, but maybe that's OK.

Does anyone have suggestions or photos of your installation?

Thanks,
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
SMan

Re: Privacy Curtain

Post by SMan »

On my Premier I already have 2 snaps on each side of the TV wall (if I understand correctly) for my front privacy cover that goes up to the windshield. Adding 3 more to the bulkhead wall would be simple and attach to that. Velcro could also be an option. I'm interested in what others might have done.

Good luck.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I will be doing mine with Velcro. No holes to drill. Easily done... and removed, if a better idea comes along.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

We installed 2 more of the brass hooks (like those that are already on each side) under the large overhead front cabinet, evenly spacing the hooks and putting them in line with the current two. Then we laid a length of small PVC pipe inside the hooks. The narrow pipe easily bends to accommodate the curved bulkhead and it's plenty strong enough to hold the curtains. We made two curtain panels out of acoustic fabric (like used in sound studios) and attached velcro to hold the two panels closed. The panels are heavy and not super-attractive but they completely block out light from the front, do a great job of deadening sound, and are terrific insulators. We have a 15-20 degree difference between the cab and the coach when we use the curtains during cold weather. I sewed narrow pockets across the top back of each curtain panel and threaded the pipe thru them. Removable curtain ring hooks would probably work fine too, but we leave the curtains up all the time, just pulling them back and securing them with velcro straps when they're not in use.
2001 Concourse 4x4
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

If you belong to Pinterest, my Chinook remodel board at pinterest.com/kkadarling has non-closeup shots of how ithe previous owner put in a copper pipe and shower rod holders to use with curtains straight across.

However, one night of driving with grandkids and the house lights on behind me, was enough for me to buy a flexible plastic I-beam curtain system that hugged the cockpit instead. I then took the grommet based light and thermal curtains I'd been using with the copper pipe, cut them and sewed them to use the new curved rod sliding plastic hooks.

You might recall this recent photo that shows the new curtain track in use (it's not even pulled tight here):
image.jpeg
I stll need to add some Velcro in case I want to drive with the front windows open but keep the curtains closed tightly. So far, no need yet.

I'll try to get more detailed pics tomorrow. Kev

P.S. Here's what I used... $40 from Amazon for more than plenty...

196" Plastic Curtain Track, Strong, Bendable Track, Bay & Straight Windows Wall & Ceiling Mounted, Curtains & Shower Curtains Parts for 3 Tracks. | Free Extra Guide

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQJJRSC/re ... mxbYVB51EN
Amazon curtain track
Amazon curtain track
Easy to install, and the track can even be removed easily from the seven or eight supports you screw in. I like how smoothly, easily and quietly the curtains slide open by hand.

Alternatively, some people install snaps all around the cockpit edges, and put up a really tight barrier against the cold.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

For those who don't want to have to store their curtains and put them up with Velcro, here's the pictures from my installation:

Closed, one side pulled, and both open. Even though the blackout curtains I used (from Dollar General) didn't go quite all the way across (didn't matter, because of the side buffers), I ran the track all the way from side to side anyway. This is so that when I pulled them back, they could go entirely out of the way if I wished.
curtains-open-closed.png
The curve looks like:
curtains-curve.png
The curved track itself is held in place by about a half dozen supports spaced to shape the track, each with a screw into the back of the cockpit edging:
curtains-attach.jpg
I attached the curtains to the slide rings (which just snap on the track) in such a way that the top of the curtains closes the gap above, and keeps it fairly light and air tight.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Shower curtain rod fits just fine. It's not as nice as others but it can double as a drying rod for towels/clothes. Store it behind the couch when not needed. Simple, easy, no holes and inexpensive.
Attachments
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Then there's this method someone posted a while back, with snaps to keep it really warm inside!
image.jpeg
wakefield907

Post by wakefield907 »

Anyone have a pattern for the snap-on privacy curtain? It would save me some measuring. Hope I can find material similar to the back-window curtain and the windshield curtain. Maybe at an upholstery shop? Thanks.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

For material (and snaps and anything else), run over to your closest Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft shop. In your case, at Bullhead City, maybe? You'd be amazed at what they have.

--
I first went in a Jo-Ann's two years ago picking up upholstery material for my Chinook. I was also experimenting, so I bought some scrap leather pieces.

The friendly checkout lady casually asked what I was up to with such a variety, and so I told her I was fixing up an older RV.

The next thing I knew, she was yelling at all the employees in the store, "Hey, this guy's restoring an RV!". And they all came running over. I wondered what on earth I had said or done wrong.

Ha. Turned out that half the people who worked there were doing the same thing!! We had the best time showing off pictures of our various progress, and sharing ideas.

Goes to show that you just never know :D