Installed a cubby in CO detector space

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Installed a cubby in CO detector space

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks, Blue - Is the built-in detector easy to disable? Can I do it by pulling a fuse or do I need to open it up and cut the power wire?
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

pdemarest wrote:Thanks, Blue - Is the built-in detector easy to disable? Can I do it by pulling a fuse or do I need to open it up and cut the power wire?
You could disable it by pulling the fuse, BUT there are likely other things on that fuse. Do you have the Chinook manual (mine is a loose-leaf blue notebook). If not you can look online for your year manual. In my '99, for example, there is one circuit that is 14 gauge grey colored wire. This has a 15 amp fuse. It powers the propane detector and the CO detector. Very likely you do not want to disable the propane detector (presuming your year is the same).

On the other hand, it's easy to remove the CO detector and access the wires behind it. Just remove the four screws in the corners and pull it out gently (you can then confirm if it's the grey wire). Then you can use the wires for something else, just label and terminate them, or whatever. It wouldn't be easy to remove that wire back to the brown box as it's p-clipped in in many places over the door, behind the shower, etc.
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks Blue - my to-do list is getting longer every day!
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10