Searching for this cupholder console

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Searching for this cupholder console

Post by HoosierB »

Wanting to change out my "doghouse" cupholder console in the '01 Concourse (Ford E350). Looking for the "slimline" version which was a Ford option. I did replace the "beverage-mate" with the later Ford console that's sort of a squarish in design with several cubbys. Nice features, but takes up too much room for my gun boats to maneuver around. Attached are samples of what I'm looking for. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
ford-e-150-van-white-cars-in-sheldon-ia.jpg
winnie console.jpg
2000-ford-console-diagram.jpg
2000-ford-console-diagram.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Re: Searching for this cupholder console

Post by Blue~Go »

In case this helps, one of the ones you show was the standard console in my (previous) 1997 Ford E-250 van. So it's from that era.

I will warn you that those aren't cup holders, they are "cup launchers" :mrgreen: What happens is that the cup falls into the smaller area of the oval. What I did to compensate for that was to make liner cylinders in the small cupholder, which walled off the larger section my cup was in so that it couldn't fall into the smaller circle. With that mod it was acceptable, although not exactly brimming with real estate (but it is slim, which I imagine is why you want it).

I found my Chinook's replacement console on eBay - although I went with the 2005 style. It seems they got much harder to find (or more expensive) now that the vans aren't being made/converted as much. But I bet you will find one. Here is a photo of one of the ones you are looking for:

(BTW, I believe I have read that the "Winnie" one was made specially for them and can be ordered - or could be - through Winnebago. I wasn't looking for one so only remember it in passing from a thread.)

Note that there are tan interiors (as you show with the Winnie console). If you have one of these instead of grey, they are much rarer.
90's console.jpg
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Thanks BG!
As far as the Winnie version, I did send a part inquiry to Winnebago to see if it's available. Still watching eBay to see if something turns up. You're right about the price increase for the later model consoles. I bought mine last year for $150! Can you share a pic of the mod you made to your console cupholders? This is the model I have installed now (the beast):
the beast.jpg
the beast.jpg (4.85 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not sure I have a photo of the mod (and I no longer have the van), but I can explain. If you look, you'll see that the smaller section (which is too small for anything I drink out of) has a "continuous wall base" around the place where the gap between the small and large sections is. Since I tended to keep things in the small sections that I didn't want rattling around anyway (chapstick, bubble level, etc.) what I did was take some adhesive-on-one-side felt (you can get this at places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's - I just go in about fifteen minutes before closing to avoid the crazy crowds) and then I sized it to "line" the small section's wall and cover the gap that opens to the big section. Then I think I put something over the part of the adhesive that would otherwise have been sticky on the big side (the part that covers the gap). Or I might have used adhesive-on-one-side closed cell foam sheet (same source). At any rate, I ended up with a quiet, felt lined smaller compartment and a large compartment with a full height side all the way around, vs. the original cup-launching gap into the small section (obviously no-one tried them before selling them!).

If I do find a photo, I will come back and post it.

BG
1999 Concourse
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

There was not much choice on ebay when I was ready to get a replacement cup holder console, unlike several years ago when there were lots. Just got this one installed, it's simple and small with plenty of spaces to hold water bottle, coffee cup, cellphone, sunglasses and more. All the stuff that would not stay put with just the two beverage mate holders. Very pleased with it, and seems like much more room to navigate into and out of the front seats. Anyone want a free beverage-mate console? :D
Attachments
CIMG2882.JPG
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby