Removing microwave and re-purposing compartment.

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Blue~Go

Re: Removing microwave and re-purposing compartment.

Post by Blue~Go »

Very nice! I had always hoped other people would add their versions of the mod to this thread.

I never thought of leaving the microwave "frame ring" in place - kind of finishes it off. I know a lot of people just store things in the microwave, but it's almost ridiculous how much more storage space there is with it out - that thing is crazy huge. I actually did have linens and towels in there, but just because they fit the large/square space pretty well. They had to find a new home when I took that whole compartment away (now, ironically, it houses my coffee things - life is just a circle isn't it :D)
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote:I had always hoped other people would add their versions of the mod to this thread
But of course! It might not look like it, but I have several hours labor into this little spot. I cook a lot, so I wanted it usable. The stock 35" counter height and the side-by-side two-burner Wedgewood are perfect. However, the range "vent", stock lighting, microwave, and wallpaper were not going to work. My cookware, kitchen tools, associated paraphernalia, etc. are in this 3.5 cubic foot (i.e. enormous) cabinet.
Attachments
stove des.jpg
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Looks great, Scott. I like the simple, "clean" and decidedly non-RV decor. (More wallboard for the Mauve Museum, heh heh) Plus I think it's really neat to see a bunch of versions of a similar mod in the same thread. Glad you added yours too.

Comparing the space available without the microwave to with-microwave is the reason I have not put my stock range (with oven) back in. Removing it revealed a jumbo storage area, whereas before I could store like two pans in the oven (right now, in mockup form, I have a set of 18" deep Sterilite modular drawers in there, four 12" wide x 10" tall, one 12" wide by 6" tall, and one 8" wide by 6" tall. Granted that encompasses a little bit of the tip down door area that was below the oven, but most of that is not even included in the drawer area. Plus there is another 6" of depth that is being wasted by the pre-fab drawers vs. built ones. Yes, I did like the oven, but....if I'm honest with myself, most of the things I baked weren't really adding to my nutrition anyway (cookies, cakes, frozen pizza...). Still haven't decided for sure (although heaven knows where I would put everything that's now the drawers if I put the oven back :o ).
1999 Concourse