Norcold 6053 outside cover

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Roly

Norcold 6053 outside cover

Post by Roly »

I lost the outsidefridge cover on my 1998 Premier, bought a new one on Amazon, "Norcold Inc. Refrigerators 621156PW Polar White Plastic Radius Corner Side Vent." Well, it's about an inch too large in length and width. Must be for a newer model. Hard to find information since Norcold sold out to Thetford. I found that out when I rebuilt the burner and valve. Before I modified the part to work, Adventure RV said that their Thetford rep's advice was to buy a new fridge....

Has anybody had this problem and found the solution?

Thanks, folks, Roly
1998 Premier
caconcourse

Re: Norcold 6053 outside cover

Post by caconcourse »

Roly wrote:I lost the outsidefridge cover on my 1998 Premier, bought a new one on Amazon, "Norcold Inc. Refrigerators 621156PW Polar White Plastic Radius Corner Side Vent." Well, it's about an inch too large in length and width. Must be for a newer model. Hard to find information since Norcold sold out to Thetford. I found that out when I rebuilt the burner and valve. Before I modified the part to work, Adventure RV said that their Thetford rep's advice was to buy a new fridge....

Has anybody had this problem and found the solution?

Thanks, folks, Roly
Our 2001 Concourse has a Dometic fridge rather than Norcold (I thought all the Chinooks used Dometic). We lost our panel and replaced it with this one and it fit perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3109350- ... B004LELY6K

The removable panel is 21" X 13". You can compare the dimensions with the one you purchased to see if it is different. It's possible your refrigerator was changed out but the vent was not.

Clay
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Roly

Post by Roly »

Thanks for the reply. I measured a neighbor's panel for a Dometic and find that it would fit. I appear to have a Norcold fridge and a Dometic outside panel. It is the fridge that was installed by Chinook in 1998. The cutout size is be the same for both.

Thanks, Roly
1998 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I looked at a few late 90's Premiers, and as in your Chinook, they all had the single door Norcold (with an inner plastic freezer door).

But maybe Chinook used the Dometic outside vent (and maybe roof vent too) just so they only had to stock one type. Makes sense, as they are just vents and don't really need to be the matching brand. But I can certainly see why you first purchased a Norcold vent.
1999 Concourse
Roly

Post by Roly »

Yes. Other than having the parts in stock, I see why it has to be a Dometic panel on the outside...The fiberglass molding in that area of the coach body is set in to make a flat spot and radiused to just fit the Dometic frame and door. To make the Norcold panel fit it would have to be cut down more than reasonable or the inset on the coach filled in somehow.

For whatever reason when Chinook decided to go from Dometic to Norcold, they found that only the Dometic panel would fit outside. Amazon is taking back the wrong panel and shipping the (cheaper) new panel no problem.

Roly
1998 Premier