fridge goes to "check" light

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Manitou
Site Admin

fridge goes to "check" light

Post by Manitou »

My fridge is a Dometic RM2663. At first, it couldn't do anything... dead. Then I opened the main LP gas valve (haha). The real funny part of that is the first "valve" I turned was the cap for the fill connection haha. (made me laugh too). So the goldish handle just to the right of that.. main lp valve.. lefty losey.
Poof, she lights the pilot light and the wonderful "gas" indicator came on. For a while.. about 6-7 min. After lost of research and fiddling (note: everyone says to clean the little burner thing.. apparently that's a common issue.. even just a little rust dust in it causes problems.
Still no luck for me though. The quest went on. There's 2 connections high up the flume that I thought were sensors for over or under heating.. not so. The imprint and later research showed them to be the 12V and 110 heating elements. So, back to this "thermocoupler" thing I kept reading about. Not an expensive thing to replace, but I didn't have one on hand nor could I find a local store that might carry such a thing. The thermocouple is just above the sparker for the burner (think grill ignitor.. same idea).
I traced the wires back to the circuit board. Supposedly you can stick a volt meter on those wire with the burner on (in those 6-7 working min. you have) and see 25-35 milivolts. I couldn't get my meter to show me that.. I can't get my meter to show much much other than 12ish volts for DC. My fault I'm sure.
However, I got lucky anyway. Disconnecting and reconnecting the thermocoupler and wala.. I have fire.. for about an hour now. It's uhmazing (sarcasm, but hey.. it's the little things).
I'm going to replace the thermocouple with a new one some day soon.. as well as probably replace the circuit board with a "dinosaur" one (google their circuit board.. they're all the rave).
I should add some pictures..
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: fridge goes to "check" light

Post by Manitou »

This saga continued..
I replaced the circuit board with dinosaur electronics micro P-711. I also replaced the thermocoupler. Hopefully this will make the fridge be stable (it intermittently goes to "check" still).
Attachments
image.jpg
SMan

Re: fridge goes to "check" light

Post by SMan »

Although this is an older thread I thought I would add to it rather than start a new fridge thread. I have had a number of RV's with Dometic check light issues. All were solved by the Dinosaur boards. My 2004 Premier was going to check intermittently (also a RM2663) and the Dinosaur P711 fixed it and hasn't malfunctioned since. Not sure why Dometic doesn't use their boards.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10