Running water

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Manitou
Site Admin

Running water

Post by Manitou »

It feels silly to post about such simple things, but it's my first RV. The water pump comes on with the switch fine. Some water spittles out of the sink. It's not steady though. I did go to change the hot water heater anode (didn't actually need to be changed, so stuck it right back in. It requires a 1 1/16" socket to remove/install btw).
The white valves under the couch.. which way should the handle be pointing for normal operations? The RV was winterized when I got it, so I'm having to summerise it.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Running water

Post by Manitou »

I downloaded this pdf of the owners manual (I have a binder of it in paper form.. I'll never use it most likely though)
http://www.chinookrvclub.net/CareandMai ... Manual.pdf
that confirmed my hot water heater valves are correct. I hooked up a garden hose to the pressure inlet and purged the system of air. However, when I turned the water pump on now, water spits out of the pressure inlet. Confused.
I think that's enough for one day though.
Billmiller

Post by Billmiller »

We are also new the RVing. We got our '97 Concourse in May and just love it. But like any used vehicle things are not always 100%. That said we had the same issue with water pressure. The lines were full of air and spurted like yours. There were no leaks. Turns out the culprit was the pump.

I replaced the pump with a SHURflo 4008-101-E65 which I got it from Amazon for $67.99. This fixed it and now we have great pressure. Now I did have to modify the fittings since the physical size was different. I was able to find all the fittings I needed at a very low cost from Lowes. Home Depot was lacking. I also added a SHURflo 255-313 Strainer, also from Amazon for $8.79.

Problem solved forunder $100! One thing to add though, I had replaced the sofa bed with a single bed so I had very easy access to the pump.

Good luck,

Bill
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I had similar problems with the pump in my last rig (Class B). The pump was the same model as the original in my Chinook. I had occasional cycling, which often means a leak on the supply side of the pump, and some of the spurting/air, too. However, I could not find a leak anywhere. Finally, I decided to replace the pump just in case (used the 4008). That immediately fixed the problem.

My Chinook came with the same original pump model as was in the Class B, and I have bought a new 4008 to replace it with, prophylactically. While I'm at it, I'm going to add the recommended soft lines between the PEX ("hard" lines) and the pump. I've also bought a newer (better style, IMO) water filter for the suction side of the pump.

I was looking at moving the pump out toward the outside wall a bit. The soft lines would make that fairly easy to do, and would free up some nice storage space near the front (aisle) underneath. However, it's not "simple," because of the wheel well, and I don't want to mount the pump in a way that will exacerbate any vibration. For now I'm mentally considering my options because I'm not going to replace the pump for a while yet (but do have the materials on hand).

I, too, removed the original couch (found it uncomfortable for sleeping or sitting), although I retained the base frame and original side/front lower panels. But, I can now simply remove the whole (retrofitted, and comfortable!) couch seat and back, which does make working under there a lot easier.

I don't suppose it's always the pump, but clearly it is sometimes.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Thanks guys. I'll see about getting a new pump. In the. Mean time though, the fact that it's coming out the high out the high pressure inlet seems to say I have a cable in reverse. I can't seem to figure out where though.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

So you are saying that when you have water in the tank, and no hoses connected to the rig from the outside, and then you turn the pump one.... water comes out where you would normally put in the "city water" hose?

I wonder if there is normally a check valve at that inlet? I never use it, because I never hook up to city water. However my previous rig used the city water inlet to "gravity fill" the tank too (you turned a valve to make it do that). I DID have that inlet spring a leak once and so I replaced it. It was the usual "not the best quality lightweight RV part," so not a big surprise that it broke after 15 years of aging. It happened after it got down near freezing one night, but looking at it... not too surprised as it was a weak point. I wonder if your city water inlet is similarly broken?
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Going to replace the pump, but first.. Testing video attachment functionality to the site.
Attachments

[The extension mov has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Hmm.. Not sure why it let me upload the movie, but appears broken. No matter really since it is a pretty big file for such a short (45second) video.

Back on topic:
Installed the new "SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump" and all's well now.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Manitou wrote: Installed the new "SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump" and all's well now.
Fantastic! Glad to hear that.
1999 Concourse