Stove grate rattle fix

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Stove grate rattle fix

Post by Scott »

I have the Wedgewood 2 burner cook top in my Premier. Nice stove, but the grate rattles when underway, and it's pretty annoying. For a strategy to keep it from rattling, the two challenges are (1) heat tolerance, and (2) the ability to remove it easily for cleaning. I tried a few different approaches, all of which worked only temporarily (so I won't bother mentioning them). I resorted to taking the grate off each time I hit the road; it got pretty old after a couple years :( . I had some dime-sized neo magnets in my hand one day and decided to just push them up against the grate's alignment pins. Solved the problem. No more rattling, cost a couple of pennies, "should" handle the heat so long as they don't get above 600F, and it required no work or time. So simple that it almost doesn't seem worth posting, but since 2 little magnets have kept me from going nuts, I thought it might help someone else.
It's been a couple thousand miles and plenty of cooking, and it still works. If that changes, I'll update.
Attachments
wedge2.jpg
wedge1.jpg
1994 Premier
SMan

Re: Stove grate rattle fix

Post by SMan »

Good tip. I have some of those laying around and they are very powerful.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Great idea for a nagging problem. My wife refers to me as the squeak and rattle police. I am driven nuts by the various squeaks and rattles that are bound to occur when one is traveling down the road at 70 mph sitting in a 5.25ton house. Over the years, I have dealt with most of these nuances:

--felt stickies on the screen moldings where they meet the frame
--a drop of oil on the window latch where it meets the lock cut out
--quick epoxy and screw reinforcement of the wall where it meets the molding piece behind the sink and stove
--lock washers on other various screws (some hidden from view like the ones that hold the framing of the bathroom near the rear entrance hidden behind the carpeted bulkhead over the rear door

But the only fix I could come up with for the stove grates (I have two single heavy gauge pieces for my two burner) was to take them off and store them...fine, except when I forget to put them back on before going to bed for making coffee in the AM and have to get up, stoop down and pull them from one of the lower storage bins. BUT NOW--thanks to you Scott, I have a real solution!
Thanks.

David
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

I got replacement rubber tips for the grill legs, these might be the same http://www.rvshop.com/Wedgewood-Small-G ... 68595.html
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

deppstein wrote: My wife refers to me as the squeak and rattle police. I am driven nuts by the various squeaks and rattles that are bound to occur when one is traveling down the road at 70 mph sitting in a 5.25ton house.
Ha, I'm the same. Except I get the added challenge of finding them while traveling solo. Good times :D

Scott: Great idea for the stove!
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Blue~Go wrote:
deppstein wrote: My wife refers to me as the squeak and rattle police. I am driven nuts by the various squeaks and rattles that are bound to occur when one is traveling down the road at 70 mph sitting in a 5.25ton house.
Ha, I'm the same. Except I get the added challenge of finding them while traveling solo. Good times :D
That is what cruise control is for! ;)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Blue~Go wrote:Ha, I'm the same. Except I get the added challenge of finding them while traveling solo. Good times :D
Last weekend I had my daughter drive me around in circles in a deserted parking lot over a speed bump just so I could try to find some rattles.

Towards the end I discovered that I could duplicate most of them simply by banging on every wall, door and surface with the bottom of a fist... without having to have the Chinook in motion.

(It had never occured to me to bang on the fridge door panel, for example. But lo, it was one of the elusuve rattles! Ended up taking off the panel, adding some rear padding, shining it up, and putting it back.)

Mentioned in case it helps someone debug noises all alone.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

One technique I have used is to aim a camera toward the back in video mode. Then slowly raise/lower/angle/rotate it. Later, when I'm playing back the video, I can tell when the noise is getting louder (i.e. the camera is aiming at it). That plus the characteristic of the noise and then a little pushing and prodding (while parked) usually gets it done. But of course having someone else to drive while you sleuth is nice.

Ha, on the cruise control. Not so much on the highway but this does work great when sailing (well away from shore and other vessel traffic). On the other hand pounding through waves generates just that many more noises to find...
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Sometimes I just turn up the radio. ;)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That's cheating! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse