Reset Water Heater

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Theo_Mckay

Reset Water Heater

Post by Theo_Mckay »

New owner here. I have a 1997 Concourse with what appears to be the original Suburban water heater -- propane only. It appears to ahve a direct start ignition (I think). When I flip the water heater swith in the cabin the red reset light comes on. What do I do to reset? Thanks.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Reset Water Heater

Post by Manitou »

On my old rig, the light came on for like 30 seconds and then went out. During that time you could hear the fire light up (if you were very quiet).
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I have a 2004 Premier, and it also works just as Manitou explained...turn on heater, and red light comes on while the ignition is firing, and then it goes off once burner is lit. I have always assumed that it does this to show you that the burner has indeed fired-up, and that if there was a problem, the red light would stay on to indicated that.
David
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I only used mine a few times, but what I remember is that the stock Suburban switch is, to my mind, not very intuitive in terms of lights. Like when you think there is a problem.... there isn't. Not saying you don't have a problem, but if your mind works like mine does (sorry! :lol: ), then the switch lights will seem totally counterintuitive.
1999 Concourse
Theo_Mckay

Post by Theo_Mckay »

Thank you. I will try that!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I don't know who designed the status light, but what other said above is how it works. When you turn it on, there is no light that let you know it is on. The only light that will come on is when the automatic igniter comes on. It will light up for a few seconds, and when the flame is going, and the igniter is off, the light will shut off. Why label it "reset" I have no idea. Maybe it can fit shorter than "igniting" or something. But at first, I thought I need to do something when the red warning light is on, and it made me nervous unnecessarily. :oops:

Some people added a LED to let them know that the heater is on, BTW.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Chin_k, that jogged my memory of how it worked (and the odd light and label). As you say, I've seen people drill a small hole and add a green "on" LED. Sounds like a good idea.
1999 Concourse
red_land_baron
**Forum Contributor**

Post by red_land_baron »

Here's mine.
See attachment.
Attachments
IMG_3916.jpg
2000 7.3l diesel Concourse
red_land_baron
**Forum Contributor**

Post by red_land_baron »

Theo_Mckay : Check your 'Private Messages'
2000 7.3l diesel Concourse
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

If red light comes on after turning on hot water, it indicates that it did not light correctly. If you turn switch off and then
Back on it will try a restart again. You should wait a few minutes before restart attempt .
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier