Replaced the hot water heater

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Manitou
Site Admin

Replaced the hot water heater

Post by Manitou »

Thanks to my improper winterization, I got to replace the suburban hot water heater with a new one. After looking at the old one closer and closer, it wasn't such a bad thing to replace it.
Getting the outside flange to let go of its glue/silicone and come off was the worst of it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RyanSnyder

Re: Replaced the hot water heater

Post by RyanSnyder »

Well, I say that this is really a good idea. Right now I am still using my old water heater http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Home/Water-Heater/. But maybe I could do stuff like this when I need to replace a new one. Thanks!
Last edited by RyanSnyder on August 24th, 2015, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Welcome Ryan. I can't say I would have replaced it before it broke, but since it did break (froze.. Somehow screwed up and didn't get antifreeze into it.. Or at least not enough) I replaced it with new. The old one had seen better days anyway, but I'll drain the tank before I start putting in the pink stuff next time just to be safer now.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

This is a bit of a spontaneous toss-off, but I bought a brand new Suburban water heater and new door for my Concourse, but have decided to go sans water heater for now. As such, I was just keeping it in the box in storage, ready for that day. But.... maybe I should sell it and then buy another one if/when.

If you are interested, Ryan, just PM me.
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

The key to winterizing a hot water heater is to shutoff/divert the two water valves on the coach/inside side of the hot water heater and pull the anode rod to drain the water out of the tank.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Do you blow out everything with compressed air or use the pink stuff after that?
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Where did you end up purchasing it from? Mine's not looking great and I want to find a good place to keep in my bookmarks when it's time to change it.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think I either got it from Amazon or maybe Adventure RV. Note that the door/flange are a separate item.

In my rig the water heater is a Suburban SW6D. This is 6-gallon, direct spark ignition (so you can start from inside rig), propane powered. The Suburban SW6DE can also be run on electric power (if plugged in) (with appropriate wiring).
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Manitou wrote:Do you blow out everything with compressed air or use the pink stuff after that?
Pink stuff but not in the hot water heater. I divert the water (two valves), drain tank, and drain the floor valves. Pink stuff is for the Pex lines in the coach and P-traps. If there is no water in the water heater then nothing to freeze and expand.

What broke in your water heater?
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Skillet wrote:Where did you end up purchasing it from? Mine's not looking great and I want to find a good place to keep in my bookmarks when it's time to change it.
That Suburban water heater is super common. The local RV shop near me has 3 in stock and I live in the woods not a city.