getting the old radio to work.

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Astrodokk

getting the old radio to work.

Post by Astrodokk »

The old radio with 8 track player has a brown wire disconnected that is labeled as a pilot lamp. I'd like to know if it's ok to connect to a red ignition wire or will it blow? Is that the same as connecting to battery? I would think so since it's 12V, but not sure about amp draw.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chinook440

Re: getting the old radio to work.

Post by chinook440 »

if it was disconnected , i,d be cautious with it.

if you don,t know if the red wire your using for power is fused or not, add a fuse to it before you try to power it up so if the radio is shorted out the fuse will protect the wiring etc.

btw the factory power wire connector on both the radio and where it should plug into should be an orange color. look around and see if you see an flat orange connector with 2 or 3 holes
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Apparently the previous owner connected it to the hot wire with one of those snap on clips. Probably blew the pilot lamp, because the radio was dark at night even though it worked on the left side speakers.
So I spent all day today installing new speakers, new wiring, and yes, a new stereo/CD/MP3 receiver. Sounds awesome!
It's so fun doing this kind of small stuff myself. I priced it out at Car Tunes, and they would have charged me $500 to do this. I saved the money and stayed out of debauchery trouble by DIY. It's a great hobby if the time and funds are there!
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

That sounds MUCH better than getting the old one working again! :D
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chinook440 wrote:That sounds MUCH better than getting the old one working again! :D
Yabut, now how is he going to play his 8-track tapes?
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I don't have any of those , but I do have tons of cassettes! Eventually I'll replace them with CDs. As long as I have tunes with radio, I'm happy.