Do you use a surge protector?

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
deb

Re: Do you use a surge protector?

Post by deb »

Thank you once again for a "boatload" of information Blue~Go.

The cord that I am referencing is not the power cord attached to the Chinook. This one was in the storage compartment. I couldn't figure out it's purpose. Is it an extension for the existing Chinook cord?

Thank you for your opinion on a surge protector. I will add it to the list. :-)
Attachments
20170523_070745.jpg
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Deb,

Ok, I understand now. Your Chinook must (still) have the same system mine came with, which is that the shore power cord is permanently wired in on the Chinook end and stored in a compartment, then you pull out the shore end when you want to plug in and put it through a little "mouse hole" in the compartment door. So then the cord you show is likely an extension cord so the Chinook can be further away from the power post.

I temporarily forgot about the way the Chinook cord was wired, as I removed mine a while ago. When I replace it I'll do an inlet system (see next paragraph).

The system I was referring to, would be "boat style," wherein there would be an inlet on the side of the Chinook, and that would be wired in permanently; but the cord would be free-standing and have two loose ends (like the one you pictured). The reason I would prefer that style is that I don't particularly like the "mouse hole." Also, it's nice to be able to leave the campsite and just unplug and come back to the cord later vs. having to clean/re-coil/re-stuff the cord into the compartment (just personal preference).

I would still absolutely replace ANY cord with burnt looking ends (or at least replace the end). If you don't tend to park far away from power pedestals, you may not even need a long extension (maybe the former owner plugged in at home and needed the extra length?). But do have a look at the shore end of the built in cord, since it was likely plugged in along with that extension that doesn't look so good.
1999 Concourse
deb

Post by deb »

Will do. Thanks.
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana