Stereo install

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
caconcourse

Re: Stereo install

Post by caconcourse »

Manitou wrote:Anyone know of a system that can take the headphone out of a TV and pipe it into "surround" sound (4 speakers)?
Almost all head units have an "Aux-In" 3.5 mm jack that can accept a TV headphone output cable. I did a lot of searching however, for a unit that had two Aux-in (one in front and one in rear) so I could use a behind-the-door rear connector for our TV input, and still have a front aux-in for other devices if desired. Here is the unit we got:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006B1BXCQ/ref ... TE_3p_dp_1

The display and controls are a little funky, but we got our routine down for switching to the "R-Aux" feed for TV. The TV sounds great using all four speakers in stereo. As an aside, we kept our VCR and buy lots of movies at the thrift store for 25 cents each. Our new travel custom is to go to bed and watch an old movie every night either a VHS tape, or DVD that is built into the 12V flatscreen TV.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Thanks for the reply and great price on that unit. Now that I know it's possible, I'll have to do some research for a rear jack and front USB port. Thanks.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

My rig came with the VCP and VC tape the Nutty Professor.
I want to get rid of that and have been contemplating a DVD player. The coach stereo works fine but I can't read the display due to the lights are burned out, so was considering replacing that with a new unit.
Now I'm thinking of a double DIN like SMan's ( I had one installed in the dash at CarToys). That way I can free up some space in the back.
The TV was replaced with a nice small flat screen.
But still kicking around two separate units just because.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If you need a DVD player, I would jump ahead and get a 12V DC blue ray player instead. Your configuration will be 20 years ahead of mine.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

You know, I got my niece a blue ray player as a gift a few years ago, and she told me that there aren't that many DVD's in blue ray. So I've never really thought they were good. I'll look up the tech and how it is these days before I replace. Thanks for the advice.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

You can play DVDs in BluRay player. There is nominal price difference between BluRay and DVD player nowaday ($5?). Now, if you can get a 4K screen in your rig.... that will be nice. But I feel spending too much time on the screen is not a good idea when you have great scenery outside the window.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis