coach batteries not alternator charging

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
kermit

coach batteries not alternator charging

Post by kermit »

The alternator is not charging the coach batteries for some reason. The vehicle battery shows a positive charge while the engine is running with a meter on it. The coach batteries show a positive charge with a meter on them while the generator is running, and while hooked up to (110v) electric. But the coach batteries show no charge with a meter on them while the engine is running. Any ideas?
Concourse

Re: coach batteries not alternator charging

Post by Concourse »

Test voltage at the underhoood SurePower battery separator which is the farthest point upstream. Probe both sides of that device. The engine side of the SurePower should be charging (ie:13.8V) if the van battery requires it and the coach side of the SurePower should show charging voltage from the van alternator if it is switching through the charging to the coach. It's my understanding that if there is a significant voltage difference between the van battery voltage and the coach battery voltage the SurePower battery disconnect will "disconnect" the coach side in order to protect the van battery/alternator. So make sure to check the coach batteries for age and load test them. You can throw continuous charging voltage at bad coach batteries from shore power or generator but that doesn't mean they are charging properly.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I would also suspect the separator (in my case it was a Surepower 1315). You can wire right "through" it by moving both of the leads to the same terminal, thus basically eliminating it as a suspect. (You can see how by looking up the 1315 recall page, as that is what they advise you to do until you can replace the recalled ones.)

If that's it, you will want to watch it until you either put in a switch or a different relay. Reason is you will then have one big battery bank (start and house combined). Fine while driving but if you park and use a lot of house power you may run down the start battery. Other than that there is basically no issue (that's the main reason for the 1315).

If I were going to replace a separator, it would be with a Blue Sea 7622. I actually bought one, but then decided to just go with a switch. Works for me because it is simpler and super robust, and I always know where I stand (whether combined or not). Since I have robust house charging and keep track via monitors, there is no real consequence if I either leave them combined when I don't mean to, or forget to combine them. I do have two LED lights wired to the switch though - when combined there is a red flashing in the coach and a green steady in the cab.

Ironically, I'm used to the switch setup from boats, although I have a Blue Sea relay on the boat now. Just because of "reasons" due to the different setups and use scenarios of the two. I love the switch in the RV, for me. The 7622 is a good relay, and has advantages over the more old fashioned ones that came in our rigs. It also has a lockout feature so that you can work on the rig without "wondering" if the relay might connect and send power to where you don't think it is.
1999 Concourse
kermit

Post by kermit »

Got the new SurePower battery separator on the way. I read the recall on this unit, so the new one is up to date. I will let you know how it works out when I install the new unit.
kermit

Post by kermit »

I put in the new Surepower 1315A. I had the meter hooked up to the coach batteries then started the engine. It came on line at once, showing alternator charge....whoop whoop ya...........
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sweet success! I'm glad you came back and updated.
1999 Concourse