Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
NickL

Re: Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by NickL »

Skillet.

I just had Navigator NV-515 W fog lights from Amazon installed in an Auto shop. All they did was installed the brackets it came with and hook up black and white wire since the Chinook had the switch above as described in this forum. I also had water in my existing ford fog lights so I decided to change it. The NAV-515W fits fine in the existing space. It's width 2" and length 5" fits. (Ford fog lights width is 2" and length 8".)

Nick
Baitguru

NV-515W not a fit Re: Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by Baitguru »

I was previously looking for some advise, since I am not very familiar with LED, and running lights. Do LED's cause the interference in the car radio/televsion?

I didn't want to drill new holes or modify anything in order to replace the existing fog/running lights on my 2004 Chinook.
I had picked up some 900 lumen LED running/spreader bar lights from the local Academy sports and outdoors store, that are
the same width as the lights that came in my Chinook. These are very stout aluminum body, and the lens cover appears
very thick and sturdy for around $90 (the pair). It is designed for use in Marine (salt water) environments. It also indicates
for truck and RV, as well as boats. However, the light didn't use the same bracket as the existing lights.

I didn't want to modify the plate that the bracket installs, so I found this recommendation
for the NV-515W (55 Watts of output), and indicating it was a fit.

I ordered the Navigator NV-515W Fog Light Kit from Amazon($30 for the pair). I found that the light does not fit in the existing bracket
for the lights I am replacing. So I checked the bracket that came with this light kit, and find that the existing bolts that
hold the bracket used to mount the original lights, are not the same width as that for the NV-515W bracket. I slowly drilled out
the mounting slot (mount bracket to the bumper bracket with the threaded studs). Now the $30 NV-515W lights fit (at least the one on the
drivers side).

2.5 hours later....
the bracket for the LED, 90 Lumen light was too small, and the light was actually considerably more heavy than the NV-515, and decided to return those back to Academy, and drill out the holes for the NV-515W and made it fit the mounting posts of the old bracket. So far I have completed one light install. So for those of you that are interested, you can more easily make the NV-515W light work, by drilling out the mounting oval to make it wider.
Last edited by Baitguru on July 2nd, 2020, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Chinook Concourse :arrow:
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: NV-515W not a fit Re: Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by chin_k »

Baitguru wrote: July 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm Do LED's cause the interference in the car radio/televsion?
The LED itself is not a RF device, so there is no worry there. But LED driver may have some RF circuit in there, and most will have a FCC stamp on it somewhere. I don't think I have come across any driver for the residential application that cause issue with radio/DTV/WiFi yet.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

My driver side fog light is burned out. The passenger side still works.

I'd like to keep it stock, so I found a replacement bulb that I'm ordering and will see if the housing it comes with will work. If not, I will take the bulb
off and solder it to the OEM mount.

I prefer this to the fog lights online at Amazon or Autozone that are linked above that have the blue plastic face.

Has anyone done this before?

bulb 1 jpeg.jpg
bulb 2 jpeg.jpg
bulb 2 jpeg.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Soldering may not work, and you may have to crimp it if the leads get really hot.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

It looks like the OEM ones are soldered in, so why would it not work, because of the metal type?
I'm not a great solderer, but it looked like an easy enough job.
What would you recommend then?
I hope I can use the bulb as is when it comes in.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Oh, if they use solder, then maybe it is fine. For some high temperature bulb, they only use crimp due to the high heat. It is very likely that it is not the case for your application.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I checked the bulb again and it looks like it may have been spot welded rather than soldered.
So I may have to re-think this.
Perhaps replacing both fog lights is the best way after all.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If they are not that expensive, you may try to solder it.... it may work. As long as there is nothing that can be damaged if the solder drip down, you can just turn the lamp on for a few minutes and inspect. You can also do that externally if you do not want to go thru the hassle of installing it.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Found the bulb and the male connector at Autozone.

The original connector metal elements had corroded and dissolved.

I'm just glad that the lens is intact, otherwise that definitely would have to be replaced with a different design!

thumbnail.jpg