Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
NickL

Re: Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by NickL »

I just purchased and received Navigator NV-515 W fog lights for 2004 Chinook Concourse per suggestion on this post. I have not check yet but it is my understanding it should fit. I have the running lights switch overhead as described on posts herein.

What has me concerned is Warning where it says do not install on front bumper for those vehicles with air bags. The unit NV-515W came with a dash switch and wiring information, etc. I plan to use the overhead running lights switch. The 2004 Chinook Concourse is on 2002 Econoline van chassis, V10, E350.

I just assume, since the chinook is wired for fog lights, fuse, etc, and the switch is above the driver, I can only hook up the wiring at the front bumper area. Fuse and other wiring to the battery, etc should be in place.

My plans is to have it done by qualified installer. But like most of you, i like to make sure I can communicate properly with an installer.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks

NickL
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I forgot. Did your rig have the driving lights previously?

If so, then you should be able to just mount them and use the same wiring, yes.

As for the airbag warning, that's common and would apply to something a bit more substantial, like a light bar. The worry is that something structural could change what goes to the collision deceleration sensor, and cause it to fail to fire the airbag (or fire it at the wrong time).
2002-e-series-airbags.png
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
NickL

Post by NickL »

Kdarling

Thanks for the response. Yes. My 2004 Chinook has the fog lights that needs to be replaced. (Thanks for posting the specifications indicating not to be concerned about about the airbags since I should be using the same set up as my present fog light set up on the bumper and use the switch above the driver area..)

I gather from you response to my post, (Just to make sure I understand) all I have to do is set up the NV-515W fog light at the same place and hook up the back and white wire on each light? If that is the case, I should not need qualified installer and do it myself. And where may be the fuse located incase I need to change it out?

I just got the 2004 Chinook Concourse about 2 months ago. I am gradually up grading some stuff such as new tires, batteries, anti sway bar, etc. I love my new Chinook compare to the 1997 Pleasure Way I had.

Thanks for any advise.

NickL
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Do they come with a relay? Or just plain or with a switch.

If no relay, then I'm guessing you can do a straight substitution.

As for which fuse, we need to search old posts or ask BlueGo. My older Chinook doesn't have the addon fuse block.
NickL

Post by NickL »

The unit came with a switch to be installed on the dash board. The switch has 3 prongs. (The diagrams include shows from the switch with 3 prongs,) 1. red wire to the battery with a fuse. 2. White wire to the left light, and 3. black to a ground. On the two light they are connected together with black and white wire. Also at the black wire is to a ground from the lights.

As i see it there is no relay.

Thanks for the follow up on the suggestion of relay.

NickL
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Nick,

I don't know if you are still interested in this info, but here is a photo of the Chinook auxilliary fuse bock (powered by the Ford system, not the house system) that is in my '99 Concourse and a diagram of it from the 2000 manual. I looked in the 2005 manual and although they no longer show the diagram, they do still describe the fuse block and say that the driving lights run through it.

As shown, on mine it is the upper right-hand fuse, specced at 15 amps.
Auxilliary fuse block annotated 2.png
2000 manual fuse block diagrams.png
1999 Concourse
NickL

Post by NickL »

Thanks for sending me the fuse location. I copied them to my chinook photo file. You have been a big help. Both my fog lights had water leaks. Thus I am installing new ones. I just want to know were the fuses might be incase it does not light up. I am aware of the switch on the over head. This forum has been a big help in educating me on Chinooks.

Thanks again.

NickL
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Post what lights you end up getting. Mine were dead (water-logged) too and I'm kind of searching around to see what I want.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Is the driving light switch powered all the time? Or only with the lights or engine?
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I don't know about 1994, but mine only turns on when the key is at ignition.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis