Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Skillet

Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by Skillet »

Whatever they're called. They haven't worked since I've owned the rig. Thankfully I was pointed in the right direction and found the 15a fuse was blown. I replaced it and only the driver side came on. After a 15 seconds or so it was out and so was the fuse. The driver-side light housing was very condensated and the passenger side had lots of dead bugs in it. Since I don't have much electrical knowledge, would it be safe to assume the lack of seal and water intrusion caused the short? What else should I look for to correct?
P.s.- On my Concourse, it comes on without having to put the high beams on or even turning on the headlights.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Post by Blue~Go »

Don't ask me why, but I've never even checked mine to see if or how they work. I guess I should!

I did notice (when putting on my front hitch) that it looks like the wires to the lights run across sort of behind the front bumper. I guess that's obvious, but what I mean is they looked like something you might want to check, as it wouldn't be impossible for one of the wires to become dislodged or chafe through. IIRC, they were in loom, and zip-tied. I saw them while lying under the rig doing the hitch (and contemplating removing the front bumper as that makes hitch installation easier, although I didn't remove it).

Anyway, something to maybe check.

I'll have to try my driving lights and see what happens :geek:
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I'm going to reopen this topic. Since my fog/driving lights are dead, I'm now looking to replace them. Can't find anything exact with the measurements so I was thinking of getting some rectangular ones that are close and make it work. Anyone upgrade theirs? Looking for a model or brand.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Replacements that I've read of being used include...

For about $180 a pair:
PIAA 1500XT fog lights

Apparently they're really nice. For the price, they should be!
---------------------

For about $26 *each*, these LED bars from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Pretty blinding.
----------------------

For about $60 a pair from Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/collision-body- ... true#close

Same as above, but only $25-31 a pair from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1

At least it says it's a pair. Also plenty on eBay, but hard to tell if single or not. You might need to ask the seller. Search for model NV-515W.
NV-515W
NV-515W
image.jpeg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
The above model NV-515W lights reportedly even fit in the original brackets. Be sure to check sizes vs. your openings of course. Luck!
Last edited by kdarling on April 14th, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Thanks for all the links. I was also thinking of getting one for the rear when backing up into dark places.
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I know this is going to sound stupid, however, I have a 2004 glacier 2500. I have driving lights. I can't find the switch to turn them on. Help! :roll:
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

You've probably already tried this, but is there a switch panel on the overhead of the cab, sort of over your right shoulder as you're in the driver's seat? That's where mine is (along with a generator start, store switch, self jump start, etc.). Probably that's the first place you looked and they changed it for your year/Chevy though and that's why you're asking, but figured I'd mention it just in case.
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

Thanks,
I'll take a look
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I looked at a video of a 2005 Glacier, and the Chinook Lights-Gen-Battery panel looks to be almost behind the driver in the center of the rear entertainment overhead:
image.jpeg
"Driving Lights" should be the leftmost switch.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

Thanks Blue and Kevin. I never thought to check the overhead panel
I turned them on and I need to replace the bulb on the right side.
I was wondering about LED bulbs. What do you think?
Kevin, I have the same lights that that you showed in one of your responses blue Lenses.