Outside Temp on rearview mirrow

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
jlarry214

Outside Temp on rearview mirrow

Post by jlarry214 »

Okay guys and gals I'm a relatively new nook owner and I need so help.

We have a 1999 concourse. When we bought it the temp was show 30+ degrees off, I found a replacement sending unit from Standard and go it reading correctly. We took a 2500 mile trip and work fine. Parked it for a few weeks and when we started it up. NO TEMP. Also the map lights done work, so we assume that we lost power.

The big question, where does it get the power from?????

This is and after market deal not standard Ford.

Thanks,
Larry
Blue~Go

Re: Outside Temp on rearview mirrow

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Larry,

Welcome to Chinook ownership and to the forum!

I also have a '99 Concourse with the rear-view mirror that shows temp and has a compass, plus the two lights in the bottom. On mine the temperature works fine, but I have never been able to get the compass to work. It says "CAL" (calibrate) 99% of the time (every once in a blue moon it shows a direction). I tried all the methods of calibrating to no avail.

Anyway, from what I can tell, it is a "Prince" mirror, but that has not been helpful as I have found no data on it except a patent application (not helpful!).

I can say something about the lights, at least on my rig. They were wired in to connect with the dome light that comes on when you open the door. The power wire *may* come across the overhead from the stock Ford dome light. The reason I only say "may" is that I'm not sure, but the power wire for the Ford dome light was two side-by-side red wires (in other words, there was an extra power wire). That may have something to do with the mirror lighting.

(I absolutely hated that the dome lights would come on when opening the door and there was no way to NOT have that happen. Just what I want at campsites, star viewing, etc. (not!). I re-wired the Ford dome light so that I have the option to not have it come on when the door opens. That worked out great. However, before doing that, I had removed the light bulbs from the rear-view mirror down lights (never used them as they were too far away from me being in the middle of the dashboard). So for that reason I didn't investigate that "duplicate" power wire that led to the Ford dome light. If I hadn't already disabled the mirror lights I would probably have checked into that (or if the mirror lights had been useful, I would have taken the time to figure it out and maybe re-install the bulbs).

One thing to know is that later Chinooks used a different mirror (instructions for those didn't really match mine).

I really like having that temperature reading, so glad to know there is (maybe!) a way to repair it if mine ever goes bad.
1999 Concourse
jlarry214

Post by jlarry214 »

Thanks for the input, I'll check out your suggestion. Let me know if you need the sensor info.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

jlarry214 wrote:Thanks for the input, I'll check out your suggestion. Let me know if you need the sensor info.
It would be great if you could post it here. Then it would be available for me or anyone who searches later.

Here is a photo of the Ford dome light in my Chinook after unfastening it from the headliner. See the pair of red wires coming in? They are both power wires, hooked up together as they affect the Ford dome light. I wonder if one of them relates to the rear-view mirror lighting (which in my rig came on with the Ford dome light when the doors were opened).
Ford dome light original wiring.jpg
1999 Concourse
jlarry214

Post by jlarry214 »

Okay, the part number for the replacement sensor is a Standard (company name) AX67. I got mine from Carpartsking.com

The unit is mounted behind your grill on the drivers side of the radiator. I just removed the two or three screws on the top of the grill and leaned it out enough to reach it. Just one screw holds it on.

Regards,
Larry
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thank you, Larry! I'm going to tuck that info away (good to know where the original sensor was located too). I bet I'm not the only one who will find this useful -- I can imagine a future searcher being thrilled to find it :D

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with this. Too, you are always welcome to "noodle" here if you get stuck.
1999 Concourse
jlarry214

Post by jlarry214 »

Well finally got around to checking this out. 12V power wasn't the issue. Got power all the way to the unit, it appears the internal board has gone bad. So sad, now the search is on for a replacement.

Any ideas where to look??????????

Thanks,
Larry
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Did a little digging after Blue's post and found that the Prince Corporation was bought out by Johnson Controls years ago. Don't know if you could get an answer from them: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/
Found that from this article from '00: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/11/autom ... -next.html Otherwise you might have to buy a new one or get one from a salvage yard.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...