Quick Outlet Question

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Skillet

Quick Outlet Question

Post by Skillet »

I tried to use my outlets and they have no power. I haven't done anything different that I can think of lately (they worked yesterday) except when vacuuming this morning. My head hit the "on/off/store" switch and turned it off. A few minutes later I realized what I did and turned it back on. The outlets work when plugged into my house. I was not using any of the Chinook outlets to vacuum. I used the one in the garage. A fast check of the fuses in the brown box appeared to show all was well. Could I have missed one or something?
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Quick Outlet Question

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm a little bit unclear on some of the details in the post, but I get that your 110 outlets are not working now. Have you tried re-setting the GFI on the outlet by the door (bathroom corner wall)? If that's tripped, it will make them all not work. Also sometimes the GFI outlets go bad and need to be replaced (although obviously if they keep tripping, then something else is amiss).
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yes, sorry my 110 outlets are not working unless I am plugged into the house. I have been pressing the reset button a couple times without success.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Skillet wrote:Yes, sorry my 110 outlets are not working unless I am plugged into the house. I have been pressing the reset button a couple times without success.
Okay but I think that's normal unless you have a whole house inverter (wouldn't be stock) or have your generator running. In other words, the 110 outlets need to have a 110 source of power or else it's normal for them to not work. Possible sources:

1) Plugged in to shorepower (they will work)
2) Generator running (they will work)
3) Whole house inverter on (they will work as long as your DC batteries hold out) (but this is not a stock item except maybe on the very last Concourses).

4) None of the above = 110 outlets will not work.

Maybe you never noticed this before? Or else I'm misunderstanding the problem. The way I'm reading it is normal functioning though (not plugged in, generator not running, 110 outlets don't work).
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I must be crazy, but I could have sworn they worked before when not hooked up to electric and generator off. Maybe I never used them in that situation but I would have bet money that I did. You're more than likely correct. To my knowledge, I don't have a whole house inverter. I hate it when my mind goes...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Skillet wrote: I hate it when my mind goes...
Heh :mrgreen: Well, maybe if it goes again, your outlets will start working! :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Something I know that isn't my mind is that my generator is out of service again. Cranks over but doesn't catch. Throws the same code I had when I had to replace a broken ignition coil. I'm betting this time it's the carb. But I was exercising it under load twice a month. I can never count on that thing...
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Are you low on fuel?

I think the main tank pickup for the generator is between 1/4 and 1/2, so it can't run the tank dry and leave you stranded.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Unfortunately, no. Full tank. I was hoping it would be that easy.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I just went thru this same issue when my rig was being serviced. Same symptoms. The RV service center had their best Onan "expert" on the case... and after carb and fuel pump rebuilds, coil replacements, starter flywheel...and $1200 later... he was still totally stumped. They replaced the unit with a new one (4kw) and rebated the expense (including the cost for new install), figuring it was turning into a money pit. The old unit had only 160 hours on it.

FYI: it seems the gen-set fuel pumps often are suspect.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10