Running Solar Cables

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Roly

Running Solar Cables

Post by Roly »

Greetings Y'all,

This question could already be addressed somewhere, but I haven't found it,,,,It is about accessing the wireways for getting PV cables into the battery compartment.

I plan to remove the folding, tv antenna and to enter the roof there, I understand, I think, the upper end, cabinet to column behind the driver's seat, but the bottom end is obscure. I see wire down beneath the undervoltage cutout, but cables entering the front end of the battery compartment run elsewhere under the truck rather than obviously entering the bottom of the column.

What could I be missing I have not yet ripped out covers, bur have ordered the components to be installed.

Thanks, Roly
1998 Premier
Blue~Go

Re: Running Solar Cables

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Roly,

I've done quite a bit of re-wiring, so I can give you my take on things.

First off all, the wiring that currently comes out of the battery compartment (presuming your rig is similar to my '99 Concourse) goes to basically two places:

1) Up through the floor and into the area behind the LVD. So in other words, it comes out behind (forward of) the fabric covered "pillar" there and you can't see that unless you remove the pillar (which is doable).

2) Over to the driver's side frame rail, and thence forward to the Surepower separator under the hood on the driver's side fenderwell.

If I wanted to take solar panel wiring from the ex-antenna hole (which is, actually, where I am going to run mine) I would run it in through the hole (using something like a Blue Sea Cable Clam), then to the outer wall and into the wiring chase that is already there (you remove that ~4" tall long strip of carpet covered hardboard that forms the outer wall of the upper cabinets). That will then pop out again in the cabover behind the driver's side stereo speaker (if you have speakers). From there you can join with some other wiring that runs down behind the driver's side pillar. Once you get to the bottom of the pillar you can either drill new hole(s) in the floor or re-purpose some existing ones. The floor in my rig is two stacked layers of 1" plywood. Then run with the other wires over and into the side of the battery compartment (I moved my batteries, so did not do that step, but I could see how it was done with the wires I removed).

There are a number of marine products that can be your friends.

1) Cable clams

2) Cushion clamps

3) Ancor marine wiring (available in duplex up to 6AWG).

4) Feed through connectors (depending on how you want to handle the floor holes).

5) Heat shrink crimps or tinned copper lugs and adhesive heat shrink tubing (FTZ brand is what I use).

And more...

Lightning storm just coming through so have to run...

But if you want more detail on any of the above, just ask!
1999 Concourse
Roly

Post by Roly »

Thanks Blugo,
I was just about to write, "Never mind," but found your post. I looked closer and found all that you describe. The penetration to the pillar was under (above) cabling that obscured its location. I got a fishtape run through there without need to open the pillar cover. I found an RV clamshell I hope to use. I'll run 8AWG PV cable down near the LVD and connect to Bogat solar controller then 4 ga to the battery. Thanks, Roly
1998 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Glad the info helped! It's so much easier to look for hard-to-find things when you know what you are looking for. Removing the pillar is a bit of a bugger so be thankful you have avoided it :D
1999 Concourse