Broken 30 amp power cord

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Blue~Go

Re: Broken 30 amp power cord

Post by Blue~Go »

Here is a diagram that shows how an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) figures in. In our case it's mounted to the back side of the "brown box" (behind the breaker panels). I figured this might help show how the shore power cord fits in:
ATS diagram.png
1999 Concourse
Tojo2go

Post by Tojo2go »

Thanks for the details that should be a big help. The black box on the left in the cubby is an auto drain so it's not involved with the shore power cord. I wasn't sure if the transfer switch on an rv would also be tied into the house or coach battery . I was concerned that the shore power cord could become live through the batteries. I may just try to eliminate the taped up portion of the cord and run with a shorter cord until I can get some help. I am a little intimidated to pull out that box. I don't want to cause a bigger problem. I'm just trying to get in local overnight trips I'm new to any RVing so I wanted to get some experience with the rig.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Ah yes, the Auto Drain. What could possibly go wrong? :lol: I removed mine because luckily, the standard drains are still there and just need a simple T handle screwed on to them (which is normally on them). As it turns out they stopped fitting those in later years (I can imagine why!). Here is the post if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36&hilit=auto+drain

I get what you are saying on the shore power cord. One solution would be to just not plug in until you get it fixed. Using an inferior/broken cord could be dangerous.

However, unless you have a built in inverter (would not have come stock on that year), there should be no voltage in the AC system if you are not plugged in and are not running the generator, just so you know. If you think about it, if there were, then the prongs of your shorepower cord would be "hot" in the compartment. But of course you also have to have a comfort level to work on it.
1999 Concourse
Tojo2go

Post by Tojo2go »

Thanks again I'm going to read up on the auto drain. I just skimmed through the first post in the link so it sounds like something that I should eliminate. I wanted to rv as a hobby but now I'm having second thoughts it sounds more like a second job.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

You've brought up a good point. Basically, motorhomes are like boats this way, and to a certain extent cars (but lesser). You kind of have three choices.

1) Buy new or nearly new and have (typically) few issues, but pay much more.
1a) Although even with a brand new motorhome or boat, unless it is set up for the type of RV-ing or boating YOU do, this may not be the case. For example if I bought a brand new rig, I'd still have to set it up for solar/boondocking, as the vast majority come for the "use case " of driving from campground power post to campground power post.

2) Buy older/used and pay someone else to maintain and fix up (or use as is).

3) Buy older/used and fix or mod yourself.

Or some combination of the above.

But, it's fairly difficult to buy an older/used motorhome and just simply use it without either paying someone to do things or doing them yourself. The thing is that most factory built motorhomes are very complicated (both AC and DC systems, city and "country" water systems, sewage, propane, etc. -- and we haven't even gotten to the engine and drivetrain yet), and yet they drive down the road, bouncing and bumping. People leave them sitting. Etc.

They are also built to a price point for the most part. Even a relatively expensive Chinook. That's why a Prevost bus type coach or similar is multiple millions. They use more marine grade parts, systems are even more complex, etc.

I don't mean to make light of your frustration, but rather to basically agree with you. Especially with a non-brand-new rig (but even with one), there are always projects, and if you don't want to do them yourself or pay someone else, it can be a burden instead of fun. The Chinook was marketed toward Class A folks in their latter years, when they wanted a smaller rig but didn't want to "give up any of the features" of a larger one. So 10# of flour in a nice, streamlined 5# sack. But you'd be running into basically the same thing with any motorhome.

Trailers are often simpler, plus there is no drive train to speak of (i.e. engine etc.). My first camper was a 13' fiberglass trailer, and it was fairly simple (though not without its projects too).

Car and a tent is probably the simplest. But not as comfy.

I hope you come to a good place on the hobby/fun vs. maintenance continuum.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

PS: Felt I should come back to say that if the Chinook as-built suits your use case well, then you may not have any need to "tinker" once you get past the catch-up maintenance that often comes with a new/used rig (for example, taped together shore-power cord).

Just didn't want to over-emphasize the need to work on a used rig (although still, they are complicated and there will be "things" - but there is often an initial hump and you can coast a bit after you get over it)
1999 Concourse
Tojo2go

Post by Tojo2go »

No, I was half kidding. I figured on doing some fixes and modifications and I'm happy with most things so far. I wanted to at least get a few test runs in before I figured out what needs fixing. I didn't think I would be getting into auto drains right out of the gate though. I was thinking more like new fantastic fan and solar as improvements to get started. Like I said I kind of stretched to buy this and as soon as I got home I took it to a shop because the brakes felt a little spongy and the steering didn't seem to be as responsive as it should it also had the original shocks in it. I was thinking of doing the shocks myself and farming out the other work but I just figured I might as well pay and have everything done. Anyway to make a long story longer I got back from the shop and was trying to figure out how to install pressure monitoring valve stem caps on the dualies and of course I found a cut in one of the sidewalls on the almost new tires, so more money and now I can't buy the pressure monitoring system. Oh well. I still can't wait to get my first trip in though.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Argh on the tires! That's a bummer. And yeah, when you are getting over that first hump it can be a hit to the wallet.

There is probably no need to worry about the Auto Drains immediately. I mean, I think in the long run they are just an accident waiting to happen (for very little benefit); but not for one trip. OTOH it took about one hour and a few dollars to remove them (just had to buy the cheapo T handles), so at least it's not expensive. Someone did chime in later to say they DID have an "accident" with the auto drains "auto draining" as they were driving. Ergh. But odds are it will not happen on one trip. Just make sure the shore cord can't touch the switches while the ignition is on.

I'm glad you were only half kidding - I'm sure everyone here would like to hear about your fun trips with the Chinook :)
1999 Concourse