Shore power AC, wattage use, and battery charging

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
LarryG

Shore power AC, wattage use, and battery charging

Post by LarryG »

I've got a few questions regarding our 2002 Destiny. We've been on a few enjoyable trips with it in about six months' ownership of it. I'm wondering about some electrical angles.

1) While on shore power, are the coach batteries being charged?

2) Does it matter, in this situation, whether the coach battery control panel switch over the dash is left on? Since the battery power isn't being used then, it seems that leaving the switch on might be ok--but there might be factors I'm not considering. :o

3) With 30-amp service, what is the total wattage limitation that can be used with the 110 shore power? I think I've seen a formula or chart for this somewhere. :P
kdarling

Re: Shore power AC, wattage use, and battery charging

Post by kdarling »

Watts = volts x amps, so 110V x 30A = 3300 Watts.

The house batteries are charged from the engine while driving, from the generator if on, from shore power if hooked up, and from the solar panel.

In my 1994, the house battery is always connected to the shore/gen power charger.

In your Destiny, I think you have to make sure that switch you mentioned is turned on (otherwise an alarm sounds?) so the house batteries will get charged... see NOTE section below.
image.jpeg
Manual from 2000 Concourse

Oh. If you meant to simply run 12v stuff, I would think that switch has to be on. At least it does in mine. Have you tried turning it off with shore power? Do the 12v interior lights go out?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
LarryG

Re: Shore power AC, wattage use, and battery charging

Post by LarryG »

Great info all in one place. Thanks a bunch. I'd read some about this in the manual but it hadn't all come together for a greater understanding. :)
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Shore power

Post by jeanie19 »

Hello, I plug the Chinook into a 15 amp outlet at home. I have an opportunity to have it changed to 20 amps, do not have space in the power panel for 30 amps. Would it be worthwhile to go to 20 amps to run the AC? To use the rv as a refuge from the house on the few hot days we have here. It will not run as is but do not know if it is because my extension cord is a size down from the rv cord, or due to the circuit.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
SMan

Re: Shore power

Post by SMan »

AC will run off of a 15 amp outlet but 20 would certainly be better. That said a 20 amp outlet should have 12 gauge wire to the outlet. It's best to use your RV power cord as it will handle 30 amps but I do use a short 12 gauge extension cord when plugged in at home. (If you are running an AC unit on a 15 amp circuit and extension cord the cord will get warm to the touch)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I turn off the battery charger breaker and switch the fridge to propane if I want to run the a/c on 15. Seems to not get the power cord hot much at all that way.
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

Thanks for the good info. Like the suggestion to switch off the charger to control that draw.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby