New tv solution

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: New tv solution

Post by Manitou »

That's what we're saying.. Those TV's we mentioned are sold as AC TV's, but if you just don't use the converter power brick that comes with them.. They are actually DC TV's.
ngpsaki

Post by ngpsaki »

I'm so glad to find this thread! I'm in the process of upgrading the electronics in my 1998 Concourse, and the discussion and pictures are very helpful. I have removed the old TV, and I'll be replacing the stereo head, VCR, and an after-market DVD player next week. There are two items installed that I'm not sure about. (See pictures.) One is a digital-to-analog converter box, TR-40CRA, apparently from DISH. The other is an Antenna-Cable Switch Model 32-3210; this seems to have something to do with the Winegard antenna on the roof. I am guessing the DTA converter box is no longer needed, as I am installing an LED TV. Any suggestions or cautions about removing it altogether? The Antenna-Cable switch is probably still useful, since I have both the roof antenna and the option to hook up to cable in an RV park. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks again for all your help!
Attachments
Antenna-Cable Switch Model 32-3210.jpg
Digital-to-Analog TV Converter TR-40CRA top.jpg
1998 Concourse XL rear entry, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I would do exactly what you do if I need to upgrade, ngpaski.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
ngpsaki

Post by ngpsaki »

Which is...what? Ask for help? :D
SMan

Post by SMan »

I installed an Axess 12V LED flat screen. I used the existing power wire from the old TV and installed a 12v outlet in the overhead. I also installed a Pioneer AM/FM/DVD w/touchscreen (Double Din) in the spot where the VCR was. I use the original cable/Antenna switch like shown in your picture. I rarely am where I can receive cable but like the capability. I hooked up the DVD to the TV and it utilizes the two speakers in the front overhead for nice audio quality. (The flat screen audio is tinny) I still have the old batwing antenna that works fine. (The term "HD antenna" is just marketing. OTA antenna's work as the always have with VHF/UHF)
Note: Even though the TV has a built in DVD player I use the DVD in the Pioneer unit instead as it has better sound.

A very simple setup that works well for us.
Attachments
file2.jpg
file2.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
file.jpg
file.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

My setup is similar to SMan, except I replaced the house stereo with a unit that had a rear auxiliary input. The I ran the TV headphone signal to the aux input of the stereo so the TV sound plays on the stereo house speakers. I have SMan's old tape player (ours had some problems), and we use the DVD player in the TV for DVDs. We also kept the original cable switch and antenna, but we have never watched live TV on the road.
The TV is light enough that we don't need to strap it in, but I do need to tighten the mount hinges occasionally.

This is the TV we used (later model). I started with the 16" but it was too small. The 19" was much better, and still small enough to not get in the way or requiring strapping in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I ... UTF8&psc=1
StereoandSolar.jpg
TVMount.jpg
TVTuckedForTravel.jpg
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
ngpsaki

Post by ngpsaki »

Covering the TV hole and attaching the flatscreen mount to the cover seems popular, but I don't want to lose access to that storage space. 1998chinook has the kind of set-up I'm considering, but I can't see how the 2x4 is attached to the vertical brace. I have only about 7.5" of clearance before the reinforcing strut would interfere with the back of the ANT/Cable switch. That would make it difficult to attach cables to the switch. And of course, it's a tight fit to work in there!
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

ngpsaki wrote: July 5th, 2020, 4:03 pm Covering the TV hole and attaching the flatscreen mount to the cover seems popular, but I don't want to lose access to that storage space.
All that space behind the cover where the old tube TV used to be is available for storage, and easily accessed from the center door. I put pillows and tools back there and spare parts I don't need often I tuck way back in the corner.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
ngpsaki

Post by ngpsaki »

I was thinking that area would be a good place to store the bedding during the day, in which case front access would be more convenient.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

You can move the bedding in the area behind the TV mount by using the center door, like Clay said. YMMV, but for me, the TV opening is not a good spot for me to use because I will be standing on the center aisle, and not on the jack knife sofa when I need to put things away. Even with the opening there, I still use the center door, to access the content. The bedding is pretty bulky anyway, so it will be easier to use the larger, center opening.... etc.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis