Tail light replacements

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
kdarling

Re: Tail light replacements

Post by kdarling »

From what I've read, there's no screws for the Expedition lens on Chinooks. It's all press fit instead.

Apparently there is a (breakable!) tab at its top and two press fit prongs at its bottom. (EDIT: hmm. Aftermarket photo below shows another push pin at top!)

- To remove, you gently pry the bottom out and slightly sideways away from the RV (left for left lens, right for right), until the prongs and top tab slip free.

- To install, insert the top tab into its body slot first, then rotate up and push in the bottom prongs.

It's suggested that you get the new lenses first, so you can better see where those things are.

Btw, reportedly the Chevy based Destiny also uses the Ford Expedition lights.
Expedition tail light pins
Expedition tail light pins
Luck! Kev

PS to Colorider: hey I'd already wasted too much $$ trying to find Econoline lenses that fit. And tearing them up trying. If you hadn't asked, I'd have never figured out that they were Aerostar lights. Although member vacuumbed had mentioned last year that he thought the last 1991 Chinooks used them! Anyway, thanks again for asking!!
Last edited by kdarling on May 13th, 2017, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

kdarling wrote:Still not sure I love them yet, as I miss the yellow a bit, but I do like the modernized feel of them... and of course, having a unique Chinook with them :)
Excellent choice! They look great! My "to-do list" just got longer...
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
NickL

Post by NickL »

I am a Chinook Newbie. I just bought a 2004 Concourse XL with a Ford Expedition tail lights (3 bumps). I was looking for some explanation (or on You Tube ) on how to change the bulbs if I have to. I see no screws on the exterior surface to remove the tail light. In fact the one on the driver side does not fit well and I put a tape at the top to reduce water from coming in.

I looked on Amazon for the cover and it looks like it has two screws at the top. Of course on the Chinook I see no screws to remove them.

Help.

Thanks in advance.

NickL
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Nick, see my post just above yours.

Apparently yours just pull out. No screws.

Kev
NickL

Post by NickL »

Thanks. I reviewed the complete tail light posts and got the jest of how to remove the tail light cover. i ordered one like I have on my 2004 Chinook Concourse from Amazon.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Excellent.

Please report back and let others know what your experience ends up being like :)