Do you use a surge protector?

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Do you use a surge protector?

Post by Xatlatc »

Do Chinooks come with a built-in surge protector? I don't have my owners manuals handy at the moment to research my question. Do you use one?
Concourse

Re: Do you use a surge protector?

Post by Concourse »

My 2004 came with a Parallax 7300 power center (don't know what year you have). I've attached the owners manual for that. Regarding surge protection there isn't any. Overload protection yes. Surge would be from a 120V source typically which would come from a campground hook up or a generator. The stock Onan generator should be pretty clean. What devices are you concerned about regarding surge?
Attachments
ParallaxPowerCenter-ownersmanual.pdf
(137.35 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I use one for 30 amp from Progressive Industries. I don't have it built in so I can move it to something else if that ever happens.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

This is my concern, the person who purchased my 1988 Toyota Warrior called to ask some questions on the operation etc and finds out the circuit breaker box inside the coach was overheating and smoking. I believe the shore power supply box was the problem and not the Toyota as I never had a problem and neither has the new owner while plugged in at home. This was his first outing with it. Anyway, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Bad wiring at a campsite.
I'm considering purchasing a 30 amp portable style like the one Skillet uses. Maybe I've just been lucky over the years but I've never had a power problem at a campsite but now I'm wondering.
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

My gut say overloading not surge regarding the new owner of the Warrior RV? A surge is a quick hit and not something which overheats the panel (It burns up or the end devices do). The panel's breakers should trip if a circuit is overloaded so ideally that would happen and the panel wouldn't go into overheating. Of course things happen and not everything is as designed or planned. The fact that you have RV experience and no problem suggests you will be fine with the Chinook too.
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Skillet wrote:I use one for 30 amp from Progressive Industries. I don't have it built in so I can move it to something else if that ever happens.
What is this? Make, model, and where is it employed? Between the coach and the site power (ie: plug coach into "Progressive" and "Progressive" into the site power)?
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AL ... 8YQ7G210JC
Plug it into the pedestal and you can secure it with your own lock. Then plug your rig into the device. You can also purchase one that you hardwire into your rig. I got it for just over $200 when a special was run back around February.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

I ended up buying a circuit analyzer/ surge protector with a 2100 joules rating. It's not a compact size but it's easier to see if the wiring is correct before plugging in to the pedestal. I believe I'm going to get a small chain and lock before it walks off.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
deb

Post by deb »

Surge protectors. I have been reading alot about them lately. Is this a must have piece of equipment? It sounds like it is and I am trying to buy things for my new rig in order of importance. And, while I have you here....this power cord came with the Concourse. It appears to be fried on one of the sockets on the receptor end. Is this also an important piece of equipment that I should replace?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

deb

2003 Concourse
Attachments
20170523_070754.jpg
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Presuming you plug in, then a surge protector can be useful to protect your shore power system. Progressive Industries is a popular brand.

If my reply so far sounds a little generic, it's because I almost never plug in and don't have a surge protector; likely other folks here can give you more specific advice.

On the shore power cord though: Yes, I would say by all means replace it. These can cause a fire. If I were plugging in on a regular basis, I'd switch to a Smart Plug, but at least get a new one of some sort. I did help a buddy install a Smart Plug and it was relatively simple (he plugs in on a regular basis).

If you would like to read/see/understand more, here is a link to a good article (lots of photos, so not too intimidating) by a fellow sailor. Make sure to click on to pages 2, 3, and 4; and if you click to enlarge a photo, then go back to get back to the main photo essay.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/inst ... smart_plug

BG
1999 Concourse