New owner - first problem- Batteries, LVD, Charging oh my

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: New owner - first problem- Batteries, LVD, Charging oh

Post by Scott »

kdarling wrote:Yeah, I've thought about putting in some kind of relay setup, so that the DC heating element can only be powered from the engine alternator while running, and not from any battery alone.
Good idea. There's a wire (solid red) in the harness attached to the firewall just behind the crank battery which is hot-in-run only. Probably be a good trigger for the relay you're suggesting.
1994 Premier
A Rooney

Post by A Rooney »

It is my understanding (i once googled this question) that the Onan will not run,if it is not generating power.To the left of the compartment is a breaker and on/off switch,which is very very easy to inadvertently throw to the off position.Rooney 2001 Premier
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

The Onan running (or not) only when generating power might vary based on year and model. I was recently checking to confirm the Onan's ability to run the rooftop AC on my 2004 Premier and got the Onan to run easily enough, but the AC would not come on. After some trouble shooting, I found that the breaker switch on the unit itself was in the off position. Once I reset that, the AC came on as it should. So, at least in my case, the Onan did run without having a load associated with it.
David
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

I read in some onan materials that a leading cause of voltage regulator failure is stopping the generator under load. When I was testing the generator at time of purchase , It would run for minute and die, then I would restart and it would die a minute later. I was hopeful it would keep running but may have killed the voltage regulator doing that on / off cycling a dozen times.

I have an onan troubleshooting document that tells me what pins to measure resistance/voltage when the generator is running . Based on the results, its either the voltage regulator or something internal ( bad windings, etc ) .
A Rooney

Post by A Rooney »

I guess you misunderstood me,as far as the generator running,the generator can easily run without a Load,but the fact that it is running means that it is generating power if for no more than to keep itself running.Anyway thats just my understanding google it yourself maybe my understanding of something i googled long ago is not accurate.Rooney
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I just wrote about the generator in the thread called "generator and rear steps".

Apparently the Onan needs 12v for its control circuit, just like the fridge does. (The ignition spark is provided by a magneto, like a lawn mower.).

The early Spec A model does actually generate 12v off a subwinding, which is used to lightly charge the starting battery and to feed the battery circuit in order to power itself.

All other Specs are missing this extra output, and instead rely on the coach's 12v system, which hopefully is being powered / charged by a converter / charger hooked to the generator's AC output.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)