Rear step status light

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Rocinante

Rear step status light

Post by Rocinante »

My new-to-me 2001 Destiny has a 'cabin monitor' panel above the windshield to indicate when a door, hatch or rear step is open. The light for the rear step is always on, regardless of the step position. The previous owner said it was 'always like that'. I have checked the installation guide and crawled around under the steps and haven't found what triggers that light. If there is an external switch that can be adjusted, I don't see it.

All of the other tell-tale lights on the panel seem to be working as they should. I have haven't found any mention of his problem in the archives. Any hints or suggestions?

thanks,

-Jim
2001 Destiny 2400
Rocinante

Re: Rear step status light

Post by Rocinante »

One more thing I discovered while crawling around this thing, or make that didn't discover, the rear steps are wired into the house batteries but I can't find where they are fused, if at all. My house fuse panel is below the galley but none of those circuits seem to cover the rear steps or the 'cabin monitor' panel. The manual says there are 3 circuit breakers 'near' the house batteries but I'm not finding them. Is there another fuse panel I'm not seeing?

-Jim
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't have electric steps, but I think that on most RV's that do, the steps are still powered even when the batteries are switched off. Otherwise after you shut down the coach/house and went to leave you'd fall off the precipice. If that's the case, then maybe they aren't fused at the brown box. A friend's different-brand RV had them on an inline fuse (in that case, to the start battery, but same idea).

They are triggered by the ignition, right? Maybe thats a clue. Speaking of which, my Concourse has a separate cab fuse panel at my left shin, near the Ford fuse panel. Maybe you have something similar and the steps are on that?
1999 Concourse
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

Thanks, Blue,
Yes, there is a second fuse block under the dash. I've checked it and that isn't it. There is also a small 10A inline fuse on the house battery. I'm not sure what that is for, but it doesn't go to the steps or the status panel.

still looking,

-Jim
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Rocinante wrote:There is also a small 10A inline fuse on the house battery. I'm not sure what that is for, but it doesn't go to the steps or the status panel.
My guess is that one is for the solar controller/panel.
1999 Concourse