Dead House Batteries

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
retiredtim

Dead House Batteries

Post by retiredtim »

House batteries are about 7 years old (Trojan t105) and won't hold charge. Had tested and it's time to replace. Any recommendations??? I live in NH and the nearest dealer for Trojan is 50 miles away. Seen some articles about batteries at Walmart. Anyone have any recommendations? (I try to boondock most of the time)
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Dead House Batteries

Post by deppstein »

I replaced my 7-year old Group 27's at the beginning of this season with a pair of Duracell Ultra Group 31's. The Group 31's are the same size as the Group 27's, so the pair can still fit in the slide out tray (2004 Premier). Since I don't have a sophisticated charging system, I stuck with the regular wet-cell batteries, rather than the more temperamental AGM.
We also tend to camp at sites without power most of the time...usually prettier and more remote. So, our primary method of charging the batteries is through the heavy-duty alternator when running. I have yet to replace the original wires running from alternator to separator to batteries (as Blue Go and others have recommended--Blue and the others know much more about this stuff than I do, so worth reading up on what they have had to say over the years on batteries and charging). I did replace the original Sure Power separator with at Blue Sea 7622 (magnetic, and therefore more efficient). I also have a 100watt pure sine inverter attached directly to my house batteries for use in charging our Copenhagen Wheel (electric assist bikes) while on the road. That inverter has a digital read out that tells me that the house batteries tend to get about 13.8 volt charge from the alternator...not as high as the 14.2 recommended as initial charge if you have a more sophisticated step-charging system...but it seems to be working OK for me--I have gone a full five days without charging the house system, and still able to run my 3-way frig (on propane), the interior lights (now LED), the water pump, and hot water heater for dishes and occasional shower.
As back-up, I carry a Zamp 200 watt solar suitcase, and a very quiet and compact (fits into the back storage compartment behind the "continental" spare) 1000 watt Honda inverter generator--I can use this to top off batteries quickly if needed AND charge the bikes if there is not enough sun for solar and without having to crank-up the noisy 4000watt onboard Onan.
As I said, people like Blue Go know this stuff inside out, and they have much better systems that allow for indefinite boon docking...but this system is pretty well suited to our type of camping and needs. I think that my Group 31's will run out a year or two earlier than if I had a more sophisticated charging system, but they are relatively cheap to replace, so I can live with that. As the technology continues to evolve, I suspect (as do others) that lithium ion will come into greater use, but that is further down the road than I am looking at this point.
Any other questions, let me know.
David
"Turtle" 2004 Premier
Boston MA
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

QUICK CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST--MY PURE SINE INVERTER IS 1000 WATTS (NOT 100 AS ORIGINALLY STATED)...SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Hi Tim,

7 years is great. Has your system suited your needs? If so, the easiest rout would be to just replace your batteries with new T105s. I use a pair of US Battery GC2 US2200XC2 6V 232AH, which are very similar but have slightly more (claimed) capacity. Not sure how they compare dimensionally to you Trojans (probably very close), but you could look it up easily. Maybe there's a US Battery dealer closer to you? If you want more capacity, as David mentioned, the stock arrangement can be expanded and improved in many ways; it's a matter of time and money.

Hi David,

Thanks for your post. If ever in the future you want to make a correction, you can go back to your original post and click the "edit" button; you have to be logged in for it to show.
1994 Premier