Two Inline fuses at the house battery

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
NickL

Re: Two Inline fuses at the house battery

Post by NickL »

Blue~Go wrote:Super helpful photo - thanks, Nick. Well, that does look to me like original Chinook, or at least a good chance. Because those look like their labels, and it looks like the solar fuse in style. So, what if you remove the fuse.... what doesn't work? It would be something that doesn't run through the normal fuse panel at the brown box, almost surely.

As a side note, if there was ever a photo crying for a bus bar.... (a bus bar basically tidies up your battery terminals, so they aren't *loaded* with large cables like yours are, plus you can then fuse properly). Not that that's at all unusual. What I mean is, yours isn't some awful exception. And of course not everyone is going to prioritize changing it.

But anyway, yeah, I guess I'd first noodle over what might want to be powered (at least in Chinook's estimation) even when the rig is in "store" position, and what *isn't* fused on the brown box, and then remove the fuse and see if you can find out what doesn't work (and then does work again when you put the fuse back in). Then let us know since we are in suspense now :D
Blue,
The rig is in storage so I do not have immediate access to it. Can I disconnect the fuse as it is? I mean while the all the positive and negative wires are still hooked up? (I am just an old man afraid to make mistakes and screw up the system. As you age, you make more errors, lol) Like you suggest, those are my plans to see what happens when there are disconnected. Solar panel fuse may not be necessary except to make use the amps are correct.

NickL
Blue~Go

Re: Two Inline fuses at the house battery

Post by Blue~Go »

I doubt you would cause any issue by removing the fuse. That's what I would do at this point, since the wire apparently isn't easily traceable. But, I do get your trepidation. I feel exactly the same way when it comes to certain troubleshooting procedures "under the hood" of a modern vehicle :o
1999 Concourse