Could use help with wiring for black tank level sensor

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
greattrails

Could use help with wiring for black tank level sensor

Post by greattrails »

Hi,

I'm a relatively new owner of a '99 Concourse. I'm finding that the dealer I bought it from was less than honest when they said that all systems were working. My latest project has been figuring out how to reattach many of the wires that were cut under the chassis. No idea why someone would have cut them.

I've gotten the tank heater wiring, gray tank level and propane level monitors working. I'm not sure about the black tank level. I see two white wires coming out of the black tank that don't lead to anything and nearby I see 3 wires coming out of a harness - two white and one brown. Pictures attached. I'm not convinced that these two white wires coming out of the tank are for the level. Can anyone help with identifying where the black tank level wires and where they go to under the chassis?

Much thanks-

Jeff
Attachments
20171004_140630.jpg
20171004_140644.jpg
Blue~Go

Re: Could use help with wiring for black tank level sensor

Post by Blue~Go »

I have a '99 and I can take a look later. What I can say for now is that if you are reconnecting the stock system, the tank sensor wires mount to screws that go into the sides of the tanks, and then ultimately they end up at the harness that is part of the over-stove hood.

As I said, I can post more later. Right now I'm parked on very fluffy red dust and basically have no Internet (but great views :D). (Just getting online to read the forum was a minor miracle!)

Just FYI, the stock type sensors and readout are not the ultimate. They do work though. But another way to go is something like the "See Level" system. It gives readouts in percentage (so 0% to 100% vs. just thirds), and is a relatively straightforward project. The sensors stick on to the outside of the tanks, and you can "calibrate" them. (Not quite as simple if you have insulated tanks with stuff stuck to the outside, but still doable.)
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I dug out a few pics for now. Maybe these will help.

First is a photo of the side of the black tank, with all four monitor wires in place. As you can see, there are white, blue, yellow, and green wires (notice they step up in thirds like the readout).

These come in to the left hand side (in the photo and in real life) of the back of the monitor panel (the monitor strip pops out of the range hood). The colors don't match because that's a "harness" coming out of the monitor panel's green circuit board for the tank levels. I have each one marked from before I took it apart (I eliminated it), but either have to dig them out or see if I can find a photo showing which is which. I'll post back if I do.

Okay, sorry, but uploading photos is beyond the capability of my connection at the mo'. I'll describe them for now.

Basically on the side of the black tank there are four wires starting at the lower left and going diagonally up to the right (in thirds, natch). Lowest is white, then blue, then yellow, then green.

On the monitor panel (which pops out of the range hood fairly easily), there is a harness coming out of the left (forward) side of the green circuit board on the back. Those are the level wires. The harness colors (provided to Chinook I'm sure) don't match the sensor wire colors, but I do have them labeled or may have a photo (from when I removed it). Will have to find that. If all else fails I have the monitor panel in storage with the wire splices still on it showing which colors join to which.

Another way to see that is that if you pop the monitor display section out (about 2" x 20" panel), then pull it out a little bit you'll see that wiring harness on the left that I show with the arrow. I think if you gently pull that out a bit you'll be able to see where Chinook spliced their wires on and thus figure out which color goes where. You may not need that info, but if you do.

A last note is that, if I remember correctly, those black tank wires (by the tank) go into a loom that may also contain a couple of other wires --- maybe they were the ones for the lighted dump valve area. So don't be surprised if there are more wires joining in at some point sharing the loom.

Oh lookee, an inexplicable burst of speed.... let's try again....
Black tank sensor wires.jpg
Front of monitor panel.jpg
Back of monitor panel.jpg
1999 Concourse
greattrails

Post by greattrails »

Blue, thank you much for your detailed reply. Especially considering you were away from home. For some reason I didn't get the email notification that someone replied even though I requested it.

What you describe makes perfect sense and what I would expect to see exiting the black tank. For better or worse my tank is insulated and the wires I see coming through the foil are the two white ones. They're fairly thin and so I don't think they're for the tank heater. I found other heavier gauge wires coming out at a different location on the tank that I hooked up to the harness for that circuit. Without knowing the make and model of the tank and/or having coach electrical schematics this is really not fun.

I realize the LEDs only give a gross indication (no pun intended) of how full the tank is. I'm thinking if the indicator shows 1 LED we're pretty safe, 3 LEDs we're on borrowed time and 4 means assume we have no toilet.

Best,

Jeff